50-TRSSW02 Large Smartstove heats up to 2400 sq ft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I am sure they are. i didn't claim them but i went into the website for Englanders and they are on the certificate that you need to print.
there tells you the form number that needs to be fill with the taxes and some instructions I believe.
You're right, it's listed... their website is horrendously difficult to navigate. You can't find that tax credit certificate through the menus, you have to sort through pages of support links, clicking through several layers of referral links before you finally find it...yeesh... I guess you get what you pay for and if you don't mind a hard to navigate website you can get a good quality stove for a very affordable price... I'm excited to get mine installed and in use...

Their old website was dated, but easier to navigate. The new one not so much. This isn't just a fault with Englander's website, I see it on others as well. The trend is toward more eye candy and magazine-like layouts, often to the detriment of providing good, easy to access information.

Just curious, does anybody know if this stove qualifies for the $300 dollar-for-dollar tax-credit? The limit for that credit is 75% efficient, the listed efficiency in the manual is 70.8% HHV, but I seem to recall that when I installed my KozyHeat several years ago it had 2 different efficiency numbers; the EPA HHV was not the number used for tax-credit qualification purposes. Am I mis-remembering on that?

Bottom line, does/can this one qualify for the credit?
Thats good to know cuz im already claiming a credit for a HPWH so ill look into the stove credit. Just being a woodstove producing heat and not burning any fossil fuel and being carbon neutral should be enough to get the credit. No matter the efficiency rating.

Thats good to know cuz im already claiming a credit for a HPWH so ill look into the stove credit. Just being a woodstove producing heat and not burning any fossil fuel and being carbon neutral should be enough to get the credit. No matter the efficiency rating.
You can also qualify for a partial credit for a biomass stove too. The way the credit works there is a $500 cap on energy efficient residential properties from 2006 to present. So if you've claimed insulation, HE windows etc before that amount will count against the $500 cap. Furthermore, there is a $300 dollar-for-dollar credit on HPWH's and biomass stoves and you can claim a maximum of $300 for a HPWH and a max of $300 for a biomass stove. So if you've never claimed anything on this credit before you can claim $300 for the stove and $200 for the water heater (or vice-versa) to meet the $500 cap.

I am a " non retired " vet & our local Lowes no longer gives the 10 % discount to us . Home Depot stopped it about a year or so ago . Today they will honor the discount on certain days like Memorial day & labor day ( I'm not sure about the upcoming Veterans day ) ............

I am a " non retired " vet & our local Lowes no longer gives the 10 % discount to us . Home Depot stopped it about a year or so ago . Today they will honor the discount on certain days like Memorial day & labor day ( I'm not sure about the upcoming Veterans day ) ............
No need to fear, get your stove ordered before Sunday and you can get 11% off. ALthough that may just be in certain areas; lowes is trying to compete with Menards 11% rebates so they are having an 11% off coupon sale this week. You may want to look into that; I think I heard/read somewhere that you have to make a purchase and the 11% coupon will be on the receipt so you can use it for your next purchase... so you can go buy an ash bucket (or some other unrelated item) get the coupon, then order the stove for 11% off.

Picked up the Summers heat 2400Sf the other day. Looks quite a bit bigger than my NC-30. waiting for a cold day to burn in the paint.
Got 10% off ,about as good as it gets as discounts go these days.

Reactions: spirilis
Congrats! I'd break it in on a mild or warm day. That way it's no problem to have windows and doors open. A fan exhausting the fumes out a window also helps.

Congrats! I'd break it in on a mild or warm day. That way it's no problem to have windows and doors open. A fan exhausting the fumes out a window also helps.
Its in a house im remodeling so no problem with fumes as no one lives there yet. I moved the NC-30 i was using in there to the basement there, also so lots of firepower for when it gets really cold and no insulation yet so i need the big BTUs.

I like to break em in by building a very small fire in the stove using kindling at first and then going up about 100 degrees at a time with each fire until im up to recommended running temps. I noticed that the steel plate on top of this stove is much thinner than on my NC-30 .Looks like about an 1/8 thin. vs about a quarter in for the NC-30. but the beast still weighs about the same as the 30 at 435Lbs . IT is a lot taller than the 30 so i wont have to put 2 courses of cement block under it to get the fire box to a decent height for viewing .

Replaced our old 70's model stove which was here when we bought the place ( 20 yrs ago) with the big summers heat ssw02 model from Lowes. Has been in place not quite a month yet, &, I must say it's quite an improvement. Keeping our old drafty farmhouse in the mid 70's to 80's on the few days it's been in the teens & twentys. Still learning the ins & outs of keeping a good fire, but seems the draft control is much different than we're used to. When fire is going good, closing damper part or all the way doesn't seem to choke the fire down much. Wondering is this normal, or something I need to tinker with. Kinda concerning there is no way to shut it down in case of a over fire situation.

Replaced our old 70's model stove which was here when we bought the place ( 20 yrs ago) with the big summers heat ssw02 model from Lowes. Has been in place not quite a month yet, &, I must say it's quite an improvement. Keeping our old drafty farmhouse in the mid 70's to 80's on the few days it's been in the teens & twentys. Still learning the ins & outs of keeping a good fire, but seems the draft control is much different than we're used to. When fire is going good, closing damper part or all the way doesn't seem to choke the fire down much. Wondering is this normal, or something I need to tinker with. Kinda concerning there is no way to shut it down in case of a over fire situation.
Typical of many EPA certified noncatalytic stoves. The air coming from the burn tubes in the top of the firebox is not metered or controlled by the draft control. It's important not to stack wood too high up or close to those tubes, and in case of overfire keep some foil handy to block off the air intake on the back of the pedestal - and turn up the fan to high if you're using it, and in my case I have an ecofan which I move to the side and point at the fluepipe to cool the draft a bit.

(Also could just be excessive draft if your chimney is just that awesome, in which case a fluepipe damper can help, but those are generally discouraged for EPA certified stoves)

Did my first breakin fire Saturday. Suppoosed to take it up to 300 with a kindling fire on the first run. went to 350 with the air on low. That huge fire view is quite the show. Once i can do a real fire with some seasoned oak i take some pics. Should be a good show with that huuuuugggge view!

Didn't install flue damper due to mfg. recommendation, but may do it later now. Loading stove to the gills may have been the problem. Too used to the old wood eater I guess.

Try shutting the air down sooner. That will slow down and help lower the peak burn temp.

Flue dampers are by no means airtight.

Did the second breakin fire today went to 450 . Manual Advises to gradually work up to 550- 600. Great fire show ,should take nice pics at full burn.
Its like going from a small TV to a BIG flat screen.

It's a steel stove. The firebrick is dry by now. Go for the paint baking 550F and open a nearby window.

The paint started smoking at about 350 on the first burn. Didnt smoke at all today! Ill let er rip on the next burn.

UPDATE This stove is now discounted at lowes. My local store is advertising $719 and free shipping ,after 2Yr of me hoping to get it discounted and finally paying $810 in the fall of 2016. The Jr model is $599 down from $749. Its a beautiful stove with a tall design so no putting it up on 2 sets of blocks like my NC 30s. Ill be doing a full burn tomorrow so ill take some pics and videos of the fireview.
794909501545.jpg

The Jr model looks identical but smaller all the way around ,same nice fire view. $599. Only 40 LB lighter than the big brother at 395.
794909501514.jpg

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
Wow! Crazy good price for such a good stove. Getting ready to light my Madison in a few...19F tonight.
Friend of mine wants one,but his place is so small he will get driven out the door even with the small one. Ill be showing him my harman in action ,stove room is 20 x20 and is never under 90 Deg no matter the stove air setting.

20170313_115742.jpg Finally got a chance to do a first full temp burn in the 50-TRS . Just a few small pieces of wood but stovetop temps went right up to 600 to 700 on the lowest air setting while stovepipe temps going into the flue were only about 220.