$5000 for a stainles chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
I am asking because a friend of the wife was at the house and the wife called me and told me they were quoted $5000!

I installed our manufactured chimney and ran it up the side of the house myself so I really dont know what would be a reasonable price for the job but it is as follows:

Pipe will go out the side of the house and straight up to just below the roof, then it has to make a jog around the roof due to the overhang (not enough of an overhang to go through)

Local prices for the pipe would be around $1800.00 (I quoted a few places for mine so I added enough for the extra 8 feet plus elbows)
I would imagine they could order the pipe at Box store but who would install it????

I am trying to judge if I feel bad enough for them to give him a hand with it?

Wife is starting to realize what I am worth....... after 15+ years

Funny side note:
We went to their house this Summer for a birthday party and their dog bit me :lol:

Why waste money on those elbows just cut the overhang to accomodate the chimney and flash off the overhang. 5000 not really reasonable if the chimney is 1800.00. For what you're describing I'd probably charge 400.00 Unless I had to core drill the foundation at which I would add another 200.00

I mentioned cutting the roof on the phone and heard a OMG NO when the wife repeated it to her
The roof is slate (Old colonial)

by the time said and done a one flue chimney block chimney would cost less even with a decent support footing. possibly a brick one would be less

elkimmeg said:
by the time said and done a one flue chimney block chimney would cost less even with a decent support footing. possibly a brick one would be less

Thats what I told the wife to tell them, brick would be around that price

I knew they were getting jobbed on the quote , bet they could get it done for half that in June ;)

i would do a block chimney with the cllay flue liner for about 80$ per lin ft with a footing, maybe more for dealing with the slate

Slate roof.... I'd offset it too. I live in Wyoming and 90% of roofs are asphalt shingle so there I went assuming again. There are only a handfull of buildings here that are even 100 years old. Were they planning on building a chase around the chimney? If so that would explain some of the high cost.

babalu87 said:
I am asking because a friend of the wife was at the house and the wife called me and told me they were quoted $5000!

I installed our manufactured chimney and ran it up the side of the house myself so I really dont know what would be a reasonable price for the job but it is as follows:

Pipe will go out the side of the house and straight up to just below the roof, then it has to make a jog around the roof due to the overhang (not enough of an overhang to go through)

Local prices for the pipe would be around $1800.00 (I quoted a few places for mine so I added enough for the extra 8 feet plus elbows)
I would imagine they could order the pipe at Box store but who would install it????

I am trying to judge if I feel bad enough for them to give him a hand with it?

Wife is starting to realize what I am worth....... after 15+ years

Funny side note:
We went to their house this Summer for a birthday party and their dog bit me :lol:

A "out and up" chimney such as you mention can be expensive. I would suggest that a price of $1000-2000 for labor is about where it should be - my old store would probably charge toward the lower end of that. Our crew was typically priced out at about $800 a day (short day!) for two guys and the truck. A job like this would take an experienced crew from 6-8 hours.....

Perhaps 5 grand includes a frame around it?

Although masonry is an option, I dislike clay flue tiles...they crack too easily. If they do go masonry I suggest round flue tiles (stronger) and proper construction - most are built incorrectly. I think there was a thread on the chimney sweep list about using stainless steel as the liner in a masonry chimney...Elk, where does this fit into code?

If so, I suggest using rigid stainless with insulation. In any case, they still have to deal with the overhang.

Craig: YOu could get 1-2k for doing an out and up? I have people screaming at me when I charge 400 for a 2 man crew and a truck. I need to move to the east coast.

Shane said:
Craig: YOu could get 1-2k for doing an out and up? I have people screaming at me when I charge 400 for a 2 man crew and a truck. I need to move to the east coast.

As I said, we used to do it for $550 and then $750, but that is not figuring going through basement walls, framing in or other such stuff......so with inflation I'm figuring about a grand today.

Look at it this way - two mechanics and an equipped truck is cheap at $100 an hour.....I had my daughters ducts cleaned today - one guy for 1 1/2 hours = $200. - No fancy equipment either.

My plumber is 85 an hour - one man/w truck.

Once you do the math and add insurance, health care, down time, I think the $100/hour is probably break even or possibly lose money...no one pays them for travel time, time at the warehouse, lumber yard, etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.