5100i installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xnetdoodx

Nov 28, 2007
Michigan
I am about to remove my 5100i in order to properly install a much needed block off plate (thanks to all the helpfull advice I've received here). After reading through my manual again, I'm curious about the outside air plate mounted on the back of the stove. My fireplace has a hole in the back of the floor where a metal door once was for ash. I just have a large piece of sheet metal sitting on top of it. There is also a metal door on the back of my chimney in the garage which certainly isn't air tight.

Should I leave the outside air plate on the back of the stove? Should I seal the ash removal door in the garage?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

My house is about 40 years old, 1700 sqft., and is by no means air tight.

Attachments

• outside air plate.JPG
    outside air plate.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 264
Webmaster said:
Unless it is needed for code, I would not go the OSA route with your stove and your house......it is likely to make the steel of that stove very cold when the stove is not in use, and will also lower the internal combustion temps.

Thank you Craig for your advise. I appreciate it!

xnetdoodx said:
I am about to remove my 5100i in order to properly install a much needed block off plate (thanks to all the helpfull advice I've received here). After reading through my manual again, I'm curious about the outside air plate mounted on the back of the stove. My fireplace has a hole in the back of the floor where a metal door once was for ash. I just have a large piece of sheet metal sitting on top of it. There is also a metal door on the back of my chimney in the garage which certainly isn't air tight.

Should I leave the outside air plate on the back of the stove? Should I seal the ash removal door in the garage?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

My house is about 40 years old, 1700 sqft., and is by no means air tight.

dont forget to insulate your block off plate!!!

There is NO question that the block off plate was the majority of my issue. Thanks to the help of this forum, I now have GREAT heat. I also replaced the ceramic blanket that Quadrafire suggested I remove. After only an hour of burning, temps are up in the house tremendously. Very dissappointed in the quality of help I received from Quadrafire in my 1st couple of seasons.

Many thanks to all who assisted

You can also caulk up those old ash cleanouts and stop that cold dradft also. Every lil bit helps. And thats an easy project ;)

Xnetdoodx,

I have been thinking of pulling my insert out and installing a block off plate if it would result in noticeably more heat out of the stove.

How much of this new found heat was the block off plate? and how much was the ceramic blanket?

xnetdoodx said:
There is NO question that the block off plate was the majority of my issue. Thanks to the help of this forum, I now have GREAT heat. I also replaced the ceramic blanket that Quadrafire suggested I remove. After only an hour of burning, temps are up in the house tremendously. Very dissappointed in the quality of help I received from Quadrafire in my 1st couple of seasons.

ozarkjeep said:
Xnetdoodx,

I have been thinking of pulling my insert out and installing a block off plate if it would result in noticeably more heat out of the stove.

How much of this new found heat was the block off plate? and how much was the ceramic blanket?

xnetdoodx said:

Ozark, I think you will find a noticeable difference. Even if its minimal, its safer.
And if you have a few inches over the insert as is, you might not need to remove it to install a block off plate.

Ok. Ill pull it in the spring and make one.
Im just lazy, and wasnt going to do it unless it made it substantially better.

there is room over it, but its too hard to work around, I can wrestle it to the floor and only slightly deform/break/cripple myself doing so.

Hogwildz said:
ozarkjeep said:
Xnetdoodx,

xnetdoodx said:

Ozark, I think you will find a noticeable difference. Even if its minimal, its safer.
And if you have a few inches over the insert as is, you might not need to remove it to install a block off plate.

Unless it is needed for code, I would not go the OSA route with your stove and your house......it is likely to make the steel of that stove very cold when the stove is not in use, and will also lower the internal combustion temps.

Actually an OAK may improve combustion, raise combustion temps and heat his house more effectively. I'd recommend adding one if he could. Introducing air that is 100 degrees coolers than air from the house isn't going to significantly lower inside stove temps, but it is going to slow down house air exchanges and in-leakge, reducing heat losses in the home. Most OAK's also pre-heat the incoming combustion air somewhat.

ozarkjeep said:
Xnetdoodx,

xnetdoodx said:

I have to attribute almost ALL of the heat gain from the block off plate. I installed it without removing my stove. The reason the ceramic blanket wasn't in there in the 1st place was because the manufacturer suggested I remove it to try to gain more heat when I first contacted them with my problem. I too was going to wait until spring. Since I quite readily found the materials from a buddy, I just went for it and had it done in only a couple of hours. SO glad I didn't wait now that the heat is pouring.

gotcha,

thanks for the feedback, it is now on my " to do" list

xnetdoodx said:
ozarkjeep said:
Xnetdoodx,

xnetdoodx said:

I have to attribute almost ALL of the heat gain from the block off plate. I installed it without removing my stove. The reason the ceramic blanket wasn't in there in the 1st place was because the manufacturer suggested I remove it to try to gain more heat when I first contacted them with my problem. I too was going to wait until spring. Since I quite readily found the materials from a buddy, I just went for it and had it done in only a couple of hours. SO glad I didn't wait now that the heat is pouring.

Status
Not open for further replies.