5100s Dolmar followed me home....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Outdoorsman

Jan 6, 2008
Mi.
I got a very good deal on a Dolmar today!

Demo saw that hadn't even had one sharpening of the chain, though it needed one. I can't understand how a saw with a really badly dull chain would make you any sales, the chain makes it seem a real dog. The cutter tips are really blunted down bad, but it started and ran great, plus guy offered a large break on price so I bought it.

I sharpened the chain with a file and she's ready to go the next time I have a chance to cut. (Took 30 strokes per tooth, like I said above REALLY dull.)

I'm really looking forward to seeing how it compares with my Stihls.

Interested to hear what your comparison is. With all those saws you had better be cutting a lot....did I say a LOT of wood. :)

You'll like that saw.....Did your saw come equipped with a 3/8 chain/sprocket ?

WoodButcher

Carl said:
Interested to hear what your comparison is. With all those saws you had better be cutting a lot....did I say a LOT of wood. :)

Heh, yeah :D

Mostly with me it's like this, I HATE gym workouts, but have found I really enjoy cut'n wood. This Dolmar is a fluke, just couldn't say no for the price offered. Not sure I'll keep both smaller saws, will see how I like the Dolmar before I decide. Would help a lot if it'd stop raining here. About 8.5" in the last month.......lots of skeeeeters...& mud in the woods now.

Planning on putting in a outdoor wood burning boiler this year. That should up the output some, though mostly I'll just sell & give away less. Thinking hard about getting a E Classic from Central Boiler. Wife says NO indoor burners!

I've about 17-18 full cords of hardwood dry'n out back & cut in spare time in about 8 months. Also cut and gave about 5-6 cords away to a friend & kin.

TONS of die'n Ash trees in southern Mi, thousands more than all the wood cut'n folks around here can use. Won't last that way forever, but trees are very easy to get here now.

Friend just bought a grinder, so we won't have to file anymore if we don't want to, that will also help.

Rained 1.7" just last night, but tornado did some tree damage just 1 mile north of me so as soon as the adjuster folks get done I should be able to offer a first impression of 5100/MS 260.

WOODBUTCHER said:
You'll like that saw.....Did your saw come equipped with a 3/8 chain/sprocket ?

WoodButcher

No, wish it had. But that can be changed to when the 18" bar & .325 chain is shot.

I just cut a couple "cookies" a little bit ago and did seem nice. But will know better after a few days of real use.

Status
Not open for further replies.