511 KWH on the last electric bill. Can you beat that?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said this before, but I bought a cheap digital timer from Harbor Freight for my DVR and TV. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=95205 They download updates from over the air TV Guide. The timer can have a different schedule for each day in the week and it doesn't forget its programming after a power failure (don't know for how long though).

N1ST said:
Warmguy,

Boy you sound a lot like us right down to the laptops, killawatt, and gas dryer/stove. We're doing about 4kwh/year. Some additional items (yea, you've got to really be into conservation)...

Disconnect the doorbell xformer (helps keep the salesmen at bay) if not needed.

Put the garage door(s) on a power strip. Turn on in the morning, off when you close the door in the evening.

Watch out for any x10 phantoms.

Put all TVs, stereos, etc. on a power strip and shut off over-night.

N1ST,

what the 4kwhr/yr for........?

I guess it's closer to 3.6kwh/year. It's for everything except gas dryer and stove top. 3.6kwh/yr is about 300kwh/month or 10 per day. Got the AC on today :+( but it's supposed to cool down Friday.

N1ST said:
I guess it's closer to 3.6kwh/year. It's for everything except gas dryer and stove top. 3.6kwh/yr is about 300kwh/month or 10 per day. Got the AC on today :+( but it's supposed to cool down Friday.

I think you mean 3600 kw-hr/yr.........only way you could consume only 3.6 kw-hr/yr is if you live in a yert (sp?) and have a single lightbulb.......

Where'd I leave that decimal point... yes 10kwh/day X 365 = 3650kwh/year or 3.65mwh/year.

Kilted said:
I used -26kwh last month, my bill was $-55.28. Year to Date = $47.46.

-- Brandy

you related to N1ST and also drop a decimal?....LOL....I think you meant that your bill was 260 KW last month, not 26. If it was, I want tips on how to reduce mine that low because that would be fantastic....LOL

castiron said:
Kilted said:

-- Brandy

you related to N1ST and also drop a decimal?....LOL....I think you meant that your bill was 260 KW last month, not 26. If it was, I want tips on how to reduce mine that low because that would be fantastic....LOL

Nope not a mistake and you missed the "-" not a mistake either. Solar panels, I generate approx 5.2Mwh a year (5,200kwh). I also drive a battery electric car so I have not bought a drop of gasoline for 45,000 miles.

-- Brandy

Kilted said:
castiron said:
Kilted said:

-- Brandy

Nope not a mistake and you missed the "-" not a mistake either. Solar panels, I generate approx 5.2Mwh a year (5,200kwh). I also drive a battery electric car so I have not bought a drop of gasoline for 45,000 miles.

-- Brandy

Ouch, you really got slapped. You are not playing fair, Brandy, give us your line, we really want to know. Secrets on this forum seem to get revealed. Tell us.

Now the serious response. You used electricity, right? So you weren't a negative user, but you generated more than you used. Be honest what did you use and how are you using it?

Many of us would like to reverse our usage, but conservation is a great step in the right direction. Your statement doesn't say much, except you but some watts on the grid. Al Gore is Green, but he uses more in a day than I do in a year. Seems an honest disclosure is deserved. right????

littlesmokey said:
Now the serious response. You used electricity, right? So you weren't a negative user, but you generated more than you used. Be honest what did you use and how are you using it?

Many of us would like to reverse our usage, but conservation is a great step in the right direction. Your statement doesn't say much, except you but some watts on the grid. Al Gore is Green, but he uses more in a day than I do in a year. Seems an honest disclosure is deserved. right????

Go to: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6191/P45/ post #51 for the details.

-- Brandy

Well, I read your link, and I will be checking my catalogs and on line to understand your set up, right now I really don't understand the names and numbers. You got the stuff, apparently. Well, I am sorry I ruined your day and asked a question, but I think others will chime in with answers.

BTW, I use about 450-550 KWH per month, not the best, but I am trying and I don't have the money to get the tax credits, but I am trying not to waste power.

Kilted said:
castiron said:
Kilted said:

-- Brandy

-- Brandy

Ah yes....now I remember.....! Good post I read a while ago......you're the California person with solar panels...........great set-up but as I said then, no such tax incentives here in Ohio and less sunshine too but, given solar panels, we could easily make a go of it. The only show-stopper "gotchas" for the other 90% of the country is the two "minor hurdles" that have to be overcome for us to use solar: 1) solar panel efficiencies have to triple and 2) solar panel prices have to drop by a factor of 3...........hey, that fusion reactor the French are working on in their 36 hr work week that we'll get in the year 2099 is looking pretty good compared to solar..........!

BeGreen said:
Our house is now total electric too. Our bill was about twice that, right around 1100kw. With lower electric rates I hadn't noticed, but even in August we used 900kw. How is this so? Very little was running during that time other than hotwater and the washer/dryer. We have cfls too, front loading washer, no AC, etc. I'm going to put the kilowatt meter on the computer systems to see how much they're drawing, but this seems pretty high in comparison to what others are reporting and we keep our usage pretty low.

I think that's low. My last reading was 2638 kwh for 2 months. We have electric dryer, AC (not used much in that period) a Pool, 2 fridges 1 freezer, and well pump. all lights are CF's Overall, the number isn't that awful. but I'd sure like to get it down to 1000 for 2 months.

Warren said:
BeGreen said:
Our house is now total electric too. Our bill was about twice that, right around 1100kw. With lower electric rates I hadn't noticed, but even in August we used 900kw. How is this so? Very little was running during that time other than hotwater and the washer/dryer. We have cfls too, front loading washer, no AC, etc. I'm going to put the kilowatt meter on the computer systems to see how much they're drawing, but this seems pretty high in comparison to what others are reporting and we keep our usage pretty low.

I think that's low. My last reading was 2638 kwh for 2 months. We have electric dryer, AC (not used much in that period) a Pool, 2 fridges 1 freezer, and well pump. all lights are CF's Overall, the number isn't that awful. but I'd sure like to get it down to 1000 for 2 months.

Damn Warren. Reminds me of that Brady Bunch episode about "Energy Hogs"

Anybody remember that one? Ha Ha!

You will never hit your target while using the electric clothes dryer.

Hi Sandor, Amazing electric bill considering the 3 ladies. How big is that house, anyway?

I'm glad you posted this. I tweeked my dryer programs (Maytag Neptune) and moved my kill-a-watt meter to my computer. I had almost forgot about saving energy for the last few months. Seems my previous efforts are paying some small dividends, though. My last bill said 940 kwh's used at $83.23. Not too bad for Mo Heat Manor.

I've got Mrs. Mo Heat on board for decommissioning one of our 3 fridges. The oldest. Should happen this Sunday if all goes as planned. And she even unplugs the bedroom TV when not in use. Things are coming along.

I'm also going to start shutting down the computer at nights now that I have a router and not dependent on MS Internet Connection Sharing through my machine. The kill-a-watt meter says I'm sucking 215 watts, continuous. Damn! With the monitor off, as I usually leave it, it's still sucking 140 watts, continuous. Little here, little there...

Man, 511 kwh's! Good for you. I'm definitely jealous, but working on reducing more around here.

Mo Heat said:
Hi Sandor, Amazing electric bill considering the 3 ladies. How big is that house, anyway?

I'm glad you posted this. I tweeked my dryer programs (Maytag Neptune) and moved my kill-a-watt meter to my computer. I had almost forgot about saving energy for the last few months. Seems my previous efforts are paying some small dividends, though. My last bill said 940 kwh's used at $83.23. Not too bad for Mo Heat Manor.

I've got Mrs. Mo Heat on board for decommissioning one of our 3 fridges. The oldest. Should happen this Sunday if all goes as planned. And she even unplugs the bedroom TV when not in use. Things are coming along.

I'm also going to start shutting down the computer at nights now that I have a router and not dependent on MS Internet Connection Sharing through my machine. The kill-a-watt meter says I'm sucking 215 watts, continuous. Damn! With the monitor off, as I usually leave it, it's still sucking 140 watts, continuous. Little here, little there...

Man, 511 kwh's! Good for you. I'm definitely jealous, but working on reducing more around here.

Damn Mo, you have some cheap electric!

Getting the three girls on board was/is not easy. If they were a little more "Green", we could have the KWH usage in the mid 400's. For example, the women yesterday was boiling stuff on the stove when it was 97 degrees outside. One of the kids figured out how to turn the A/C down. I woke up yesterday morning and house was 68 degrees, so I removed the knob that controls the temp. Ain't gonna be a 511 kwh month!

Its been hot this week, and we have been having some brown outs in the afternoon. We have had quite a few days in the mid 90's, and its only June! This is August weather.

P.S. The kill-a-watt meter does show some surprises. I did not know the coffee maker drew 850 watts.

I've been using a coffee maker with a thermal caraffe.
I think it's safer because it's no big deal (no keep hot coil) if you leave it turned on when you leave the house.
I think the coffee tastes fresher longer too.

PS: Brandy, that's awesome what you're doing with solar.
I'm thinking that in the Northeast, it's not as practical, not even including incentives, etc.

velvetfoot said:
I've been using a coffee maker with a thermal caraffe.
I think it's safer because it's no big deal (no keep hot coil) if you leave it turned on when you leave the house.
I think the coffee tastes fresher longer too.

PS: Brandy, that's awesome what you're doing with solar.
I'm thinking that in the Northeast, it's not as practical, not even including incentives, etc.

Actually it's very practical in the Northeast - if your state is offering a good rebate program. In CT they're offering up to $5/watt + no sales tax + no property tax on the system + fed tax credits. At ~.20/kwh cost from the utility what it boils down to is about a 10 year pay back. Said another way, a $13K system will save you $40k over the life of it. ...and I heard the utility company is warning that its going to ask for another rate increase.

For those that are stuck with electric dryers, water heaters, etc., it's still terrific that you're conserving where you can. Don't try to compete against others - just compete against last month's bill.

Sandor said:
Damn Mo, you have some cheap electric!

Cheap compared to most I guess, but before the rate increase last year it was around $0.05/kwh. Now, that was hard to beat! If mathematics serves me, and it seldom does, my current rate is around $0.09/kwh (that's averaged out, with transmission, etc. included). So you can see, things are getting bad in a hurry here in the mid-west. That's nearly twice the price as a year ago! Damn! Thank goodness Mrs. Mo Heat is now on board to save the planet.

Getting the three girls on board was/is not easy. If they were a little more "Green", we could have the KWH usage in the mid 400's. For example, the women yesterday was boiling stuff on the stove when it was 97 degrees outside. One of the kids figured out how to turn the A/C down. I woke up yesterday morning and house was 68 degrees, so I removed the knob that controls the temp. Ain't gonna be a 511 kwh month!

I remember when I used to try and save a bit here and there a few years back. Whenever Mrs. Mo Heat would notice, she'd roll her eyes, and man, that really lit my fuse. Yeah, I'm a cheap skate, but what the hell, why throw money out with the trash?

Its been hot this week, and we have been having some brown outs in the afternoon. We have had quite a few days in the mid 90's, and its only June! This is August weather.

P.S. The kill-a-watt meter does show some surprises. I did not know the coffee maker drew 850 watts.

It's been seasonally mild here until well into May. We may have not had the A/C running until the first of June now that I think about it. That's exceptional for Missouri, or as I like to pronounce it, Miz' - er - y. :smirk:

I had some surprises with the kill-a-watt meter, too. I finally moved the kill-a-watt meter to my old computer and see it's like two 100 watt light bulbs going 24/7. Probably the same with the one upstairs. I suspect that's up there with the A/C and the electric dryer, although I can't put the kill-a-watt meter on them since they're 220 volts.

Reading this thread gave me another idea. I'm going to try and put a cheap timer on my radon fan. I'll start by reducing the "ON" period to somewhere around 12 to 16 hours a day. I think it draws around 75 watts, continuous.

And I found a transformer that was plugged into the wall, but not into it's device, which is broken. It was warm. Weird how those things seem to use electricity even with NO load. I cleaned one of the 3 refrigerator's coils today, but I doubt that really nets much savings. Never know though. I'll have to get that one on the kill-a-watt after I check the second computer in a week or two.

I also have to fess up that we have NG water heat, so my electric would be even higher without that.

I'm glad Warren checked in or I'd feel like the only energy hog around here. 8-/

littlesmokey said:
Kilted said:
castiron said:
Kilted said:

-- Brandy

-- Brandy

Ouch, you really got slapped. You are not playing fair, Brandy, give us your line, we really want to know. Secrets on this forum seem to get revealed. Tell us.

No..Kilted has a way of baiting people with only part of the facts which leads people to question his response......what he should have said is that he has 5KW of solar panels and therefore his monthly bill was $55.........got news for you...I have NO solar panels and my last months bill was $58....

Status
Not open for further replies.