52" fireplace advice for wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cidesign

Sep 5, 2008
NJ
Hi,
I am a new homeowner and have never used a fireplace insert, but would love to purchase one within the next month or so.
My fireplace opening is 52" wide and 32" high, and the ranch is 1500 sq. feet.
Ideally, I am looking for a wood burning insert with blowers for extra heat.
I'd love to hear any advice on quality stoves that would fit my needs.
I'm in northern NJ and there are only a couple of dealers in my area.
Thanks!

A big fireplace like that may be more suited for a "Hearth Stove" than for an insert with panels around it - might not look as good with all that metal around it.

Given the size, you can fit just about any read vent...or even top vented stove in there.

Look at our gallery and many makers web sites and you will see stoves installed this way:
https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/woodcoal/source/harvest.html

Some manufacturers are listed on our products page:
https://www.hearth.com/prod.html

and general stove sizing advice is here:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/choosing_a_wood_stove

If you are near Rt 17, DJ and Kathy at Alternative Heat (Paramus) know their stuff......

Thanks for all of the info. I'm really set on getting a wood burning insert.
Do you know of a place that would supply an insert or frame of the size I need?
I will definitely check out the place in Paramus, thanks for the lead.

Thanks Craig, I appreciate your replies.
I never thought there would be so much to research with inserts and specifications.
Great site!

My fireplace is 44" wide, I installed a Quadrafire 4100-I, with the "regular" surround, just covers the opening. I think it looks good. There is a larger surround that may go to 52", but I doubt it, look on the web if interested.

You may want to consider the Quadrafire 5100-I, the largest one as far as I know. I don't have its surround size in mind either. My guess is it will cover 52".

The Summit, Pacific Energy I think, is another nice large unit.

In most cases, I think, you'll find the fire box small if you are used to an open hearth fire in your large fireplace. My old insert would take 20" wood East/West (across the opening), my new Quadrafire is limited to 18" and that is North/South (In/Out relative to the door).

EDIT: Just took a look, neither of the Quadrafire Inserts will cover a 52" opening.

Using the link to the Summit, I see the large surround is 52 3/4", just big enough, and then only if you have a smooth edge on the existing opening. I see a 52" opening is unusually large, you may have to have something made to look good reducing the size that needs to be covered by the Insert surround.

My only worry would be if you get an insert big enough for that opening, running it at 'normal' operating temp might run you out of a 1500sf house.

Mine is a little oversized, but works out pretty good because I come home to a cold house, burn the stove hard for a couple hours to heat it up then chuck in a few big logs for the overnight burn. But if you plan for more even heat - say someone is there to stoke it through the day - you'll most likely be burning way under "optimal" temp for secondary burn in a big stove. In that case, you might be better with a smaller stove running hot and efficient.

Corey, good points, all.

From you signature it looks like you, or someone, is an innovator/builder, way to go :)

Lawrence, wonder what you burn in Kansas. I've never lived there, but have driven across the state a couple of times and I don't associate Kansas with trees...other than in the river flood plains.

Happy heating, the time is coming soon.

You might also want to take a look at the Hearthstone Clydesdale. It has a 59" x 36" extension panel option and is a sharp looking insert with a big view. With a 2.4 cu ft firebox it's a good fit for a 1500 sq ft home.

Status
Not open for further replies.