52i cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr47930

Burning Hunk
Aug 11, 2014
Southern MD
Burned almost a ton so far this season and want to pull the unit out soon and give everything a good cleaning. This will be the first pullout. The videos on line are for the older model 52i it seems so I don't really know where to start. I have a 3 inch brush but don't really know where to put it without potentially damaging the ESP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how to pull your stove. You should be able to get the general idea from the videos. I'm not familiar with your stove but there are many here who have it. F4jock, Big Papa, and many others. Giving you a bump so they will see it. I have an older PC45 and a new P68. Different but pretty much the same. In general the models change little overall between the years. The basics should be about the same.

There are cleaning instructions in your manual. At least in mine. You can look there also and familiarize yourself. Don't be afraid of much. It's easy to do and after the first time you will see.

I'll start a list of what to do though as many procedures are the same.
The ESP can be pulled out and wiped off then. Easily undone with a 1/4" nut driver and pulled straight out. It's in the exhaust and you'll see the wire going to it. This will leave the exhaust wide open and no need to worry about it with brushing stuff out. IMO you could damage it but I think you'd have to ram it pretty good. It's somewhat delicate but not an eggshell by any means. Undo the wing nut on the fines box and lift up slightly and out. Clean and vac debris out. When you replace the cover BE SURE to get the slot in the cover seated onto the little lip on top and secure it.

Brush off your exhaust fan with a paint brush and vac. It can bend but again it would have to be hit pretty good. Brush and vac exhaust area. Undo the thumb screws under the burn pot and take plate off. Reach in and pull out the junk inside careful not to bang up the igniter.

This stuff mention after a ton and you should be good. I'll let others add and hopefully someone with your model chimes in. Happy Cleaning!

UNPLUG 1st**** and foremost. Do your regular cleaning procedures also. Brush, scrape, and vac everything inside.

If you open the side doors of your stove you will see a clamp on each side of the stove un hook them make sure the stove is unplugged and pull strait toward u from the top of the stove.be care full all your wire connections are on the left side of the stove not to pull it too far if you need to pull it out the hole way you will have to disconnect the ground and temp probe wires I can usually get to everything without unhooking them but just be aware

No user manual? Gives step-by-step instructions with pictures.

image.jpg I can't find my recent post on this as a couple weekends ago, I pulled my insert out for the first time... I do have the rail kit, but the real work is the first 2" out and last 2" back in. I don't know, seamed like once pulled out, it went fine on the rails. The one area I did screw up was the probe wire. Depending how they have it placed, it's the first wire to NOT go the full length of the rail. I found this out by yanking one of two wires (blue?) from it solder less terminal but was able to get it back in. I then taped the hell out of the two connections so I would not repeat. You also have to unclip the other end of the probe from its base to the module to fully extend the insert. Make sure you UNPLUG (elec) the unit first. Clean the fines box, not difficult if your wrist is double jointed or you have a four year old around with small hands and can take instructions well. the other item is where the combustion outlet meets the union. I do take off the combustion cover in cleaning and use a lint eater brush, but was surprised to see that on the unit, fine soot collects and compacts in the square of the outlet (brush is useless on this). Other than that, my insert is fairly new and all else looked fine and clean. hope this helps!

No user manual? Gives step-by-step instructions with pictures.
The user manual they gave me was for the older model 52i not the newest version. The guy told me it was basically the same but I don't see the holes on the left to run a brush through like on the older model. Guess I'll just take it slow and see what happens.

You can probably find the new manual online to at least look at real quick for anything the older might not have.

Reactions: F4jock
I would just do the LBT after only burning one ton. Your wasting your time pulling it out after burning just one ton. I only slide it out once a year and do the leaf blower trick after each ton along with once a week cleaning.

The user manual they gave me was for the older model 52i not the newest version. The guy told me it was basically the same but I don't see the holes on the left to run a brush through like on the older model. Guess I'll just take it slow and see what happens.

There isn't a hole to run the brush through the right angle vent hole like the first model of the 52i. My installer said that I should only need to pull out the unit for the annual clean out. I did have it out to replace a distro motor and all seemed well back there with very little ash in the vent pipe. Make sure you take off the decorative trim at the bottom front of the stove before pulling the stove out.

mr47930,
You might want to take a quick look at I broke my 52i thread by Randy Fischer. Make sure you unplug you stove. Before cleaning and stuff. I would follow the suggestions of these veteran 52 owners. Guy has a 4 month old stove and was cleaning it while it was plugged in and going above and beyond on scheduled maintenance. Looks like he might have blown a fuse. Jury is still out.

Reactions: Peterfield
I would just do the LBT after only burning one ton. Your wasting your time pulling it out after burning just one ton. I only slide it out once a year and do the leaf blower trick after each ton along with once a week cleaning.
LBT? I only have a short horizontal run out the back of my unit through the wall so cleaning the exhaust shouldn't be a problem, except that I would need to pull the unit out to be able to run a brush through it. Could I do the leaf blower trick as well with just this short run? I don't want to mess anything up, especially as it is just now starting to get really cold.

LBT? I only have a short horizontal run out the back of my unit through the wall so cleaning the exhaust shouldn't be a problem, except that I would need to pull the unit out to be able to run a brush through it. Could I do the leaf blower trick as well with just this short run? I don't want to mess anything up, especially as it is just now starting to get really cold.
Not sure what LBT is either. Inquiring minds would like to know? ? ? The leaf blower trick gets stuff out but you still need to brush the vent to loosen all the ash and soot build up. I think what your fellow 52i insert owners are trying to tell you that inserts being a bit more difficult to pull and clean and all is that you don't really have to get overly conscious about super duper frequent cleanings. Reading a lot of stuff here tends to get people worked up on cleaning. I was at first and after you settle in with your stove you will get a better understanding for what is actually needed. Do you put a pressure gauge on your car tires every day? Most don't but can spot a tire that needs a check and some air.

What everyone here is harping about on the cleanings is mainly directed at the stove owners that do not do what they should which results in stoves not running properly and ultimately breaking down. Cleaning IS very important! It is your first line of defense for a happy stove and longevity for components and such. Over cleaning is like changing the oil in your car every month whether it needs it or not. Kind of redundant. Will it hurt? No. Can it be overkill? Yep! Are proper cleanings necessary? Hell, Yes!

Another point is many inserts are in older chimneys and installation and stuff is not as simple as your set up therefore making them a bigger PITA to clean. Looks like you have newer construction and your set up is much easier to deal with in regards to a pull and clean. Lucky You! I'll take a short horizontal vent run all day long. My second stove is getting one. Due to windows and location on my 1st install it was not possible which added venting costs and nore work to clean the pipes also.

Last edited:
Not sure what LBT is either. Inquiring minds would like to know? ? ? The leaf blower trick gets stuff out but you still need to brush the vent to loosen all the ash and soot build up. I think what your fellow 52i insert owners are trying to tell you that inserts being a bit more difficult to pull and clean and all is that you don't really have to get overly conscious about super duper frequent cleanings. Reading a lot of stuff here tends to get people worked up on cleaning. I was at first and after you settle in with your stove you will get a better understanding for what is actually needed. Do you put a pressure gauge on your car tires every day? Most don't but can spot a tire that needs a check and some air.

What everyone here is harping about on the cleanings is mainly directed at the stove owners that do not do what they should which results in stoves not running properly and ultimately breaking down. Cleaning IS very important! It is your first line of defense for a happy stove and longevity for components and such. Over cleaning is like changing the oil in your car every month whether it needs it or not. Kind of redundant. Will it hurt? No. Can it be overkill? Yep! Are proper cleanings necessary? Hell, Yes!

Another point is many inserts are in older chimneys and installation and stuff is not as simple as your set up therefore making them a bigger PITA to clean. Looks like you have newer construction and your set up is much easier to deal with in regards to a pull and clean. Lucky You! I'll take a short horizontal vent run all day long. My second stove is getting one. Due to windows and location on my 1st install it was not possible which added venting costs and nore work to clean the pipes also.

I think LBT is Leaf Blower Trick...haha took seeing it written right next to each other to figure it out.

Reactions: bags
I think LBT is Leaf Blower Trick...haha took seeing it written right next to each other to figure it out.
Not familiar with the LBT although I've seen it a lot. Not the method I need to use. I am sure you are correct on that.

My son did the leaf blower trick and he said it worked great on his setup, which is a short run of five feet of horizontal vent pipe they the outside wall to a downward facing cover. He checked the pipe and it was ashless after the blowout.

Status
Not open for further replies.