52i not blowing as hot after temp probe location change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsw1177

Mar 11, 2014
Southern MD
Had the installer out to fix an exhaust leak on our newly installed 52i. While they were here, we also moved the temp probe. When installed, the probe exited the left side of the stove and out to the front. Had them extend and move the probe over the ZC box and through a wall on the right side as to not be so conspicuous.

Since these two changes were made, the stove isn't burning as hot and we're consuming more pellets.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Would be interesting to measure temps in both locations to see if there is actually a difference. New location higher up? Inner wall? Lower to the floor will generally read a lower temp. My probe is about 5" off the floor on an outside wall and appears to be one of the colder spots in the room.

Not sure how sensitive the probe is to lengthening the line... I'm sure others will chime in.

I found temp probe location critical. Yes, it will do what you describe depending. Fool with the probe location until you find the spot that suits you best. Took me a year until I found mine. Lengthened my line as well. Now located just off the left corner of the stove, outside wall, about seven feet high. Moving a few inches left or right produces a noticeable change in operating characteristics.

Reactions: Lake Girl
The distance moved is about 8 feet to the inner part of the room. We had it dialed in pretty good, keeping it around 70-71 downstairs and 68-69 upstairs, now we have to figure it out once again. Just not sure why the stove feels like it's running cooler than before.

The distance moved is about 8 feet to the inner part of the room. We had it dialed in pretty good, keeping it around 70-71 downstairs and 68-69 upstairs, now we have to figure it out once again. Just not sure why the stove feels like it's running cooler than before.
Probably more distribution fan use, less latent heat in the stove and less heat going up the flue. Moving the probe farther from the stove means more burn to push heat that far.

Status
Not open for further replies.