55-SHPEP "Stove Mode" request for information.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bd911

Nov 10, 2010
Lowell, MA
I recently started burning in a SH-SHPEP in my main living area in an attempt to rid myself of fossil fuels. I felt I wasn't getting adequate heat from the stove as I was constanly burning on 9 - 9 to warm two adjacent rooms, and no where near the air outlet temps reported by others or not even close to my 25PVDC. The weather has been mild with lows in the high thirties here in eastern Mass. I searched Hearth.com and discovered the "Stove Mode" or Heat Mode option that many talk about in regards to the 25 PVDC. So I tried it on my 55-SHPEP. After plugging in a cold stove I pressed both up and down blower mode expecting to see an "A, B, C, or D" in the heat range as described in various posts on hearth.com. To my surprise all three lower LED's illuminated and the number 2 was displayed in the Heat Range LCD. I changed it to a number 1, sort of following the possibility that 1=A, 2=B, 3=C, etc. I pressed the on button and the combustion blower started but the auger never turned. (The SH-SHPEP is a SINGLE AUGER stove.) So I repeated the above and and tried number 3 and then pressed the on button. THe stove took off. On 1 -1 the flame was higher than ever, the heat felt tremendous (all though I didn't measure it), and eventually the convection blower turned itself up to full speed. I am assuming that happened because of increased temperature. I fell asleep and woke up an hour or two later sweating and shut the stove off. Early that morning I set the STOVE MODE back to number 2 and pressed the on the button. The 1 -1 setting seams to still be overfiring, or damn near it.

Does anyone have more information on this setting in regards to the 55-SHPEP? I attempted to call England Stoves but get a busy signal. I have read in many posts that Mike H is a member here and hope he chimes in.

Thank you in advance.

Jim

UPDATE... for those of you interested, or own the 55-SHPEP I finally got a hold of England Tech Support about the "stove mode" settings on this stove. I was told that the numbers 1-9 were not similar to the older A B C D stove modes. The numbers do in fact relate to different stove models but do not neccessarily increase or decrease auger rate or combustion blower rates. So changing this value like has been done on the 28PVDC will yield no increase in heat output of performance. ADDITIONALLY I was told that on this model control board the LOW FUEL FEED and LOW BURN AIR "WILL" effect the entire range of heat settings from 1-9. So if additional heat output is desired then using the lower buttons to fine tune combustion is linear throughout all heat ranges, not just 1, 2, and 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.