5510 igniter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urkiddin

Dec 3, 2009
Southwest Vt.
I just changed the igniter on my USSC 5510.The stove isn't quite a year old (bought last Nov 5th) and this is the 3rd igniter i've put into it.I was wondering if it's normal for the igniters to go bad so quick.

Not usually that many, that fast....seems excessive to me, unless you have the stove on a stat, and it's starting/stopping MANY times a day.

I had an Avalon Astoria that was 5 yrs. old and was still using the same ignitor. I now have an Englander multi-fuel unit, and after 1+ year on a stat, still has the same ignitor.

smwilliamson said:
The next time you run it, after a half hour or so, when the stove is out of start up mode, pull the burnpot out and see if the control board is shutting it off. If it is on, you will need to figure that out with USSC.

I checked it out with my ohm meter and the igniter was open so the control board isn't the problem.I put my last spare igniter in and it's working like it should now.For how long,who knows.I've got some pellets soaking in charcoal lighter as a spare now.

I think what smwilliamson is trying to say is make sure the control board isn't keeping the ignitor on too long and causing premature failures.
and I'm not kiddin.

smoke show said:
I think what smwilliamson is trying to say is make sure the control board isn't keeping the ignitor on too long and causing premature failures.
and I'm not kiddin.
How would you pull the burn pot out once it ignites.It's gotta be pretty hot.I could probably hook a volt meter to the connections and see if power to the igniter shuts off but this stove has a red blinking lite that indicates the igniter is on and that does go out after a few minutes.I've e-mailed USSC and awaiting a reply from them.

Well just got off the phone with USSC.Went thru a diagnostic test over the phone and everything worked fine.It shut off like it was suppose to.So i guess the answer is live with it.At $37 each i guess we'll be hand starting it when this one goes.

urkiddin said:
Well just got off the phone with USSC.Went thru a diagnostic test over the phone and everything worked fine.It shut off like it was suppose to.So i guess the answer is live with it.At $37 each i guess we'll be hand starting it when this one goes.

If that igniter sits in a tube you need to keep the space between the igniter and the tube clean, that is the air path the igniter heats the air up and that in turn is sucked into the pellet bed by the combustion blower, if the air path gets dirty the ignition will take longer and longer and the igniter will be placed under to much thermal stress and it will make like a frog and croak early.

Also if the igniter is out of position what I described above will happen as well.

SmokeyTheBear said:
urkiddin said:

If that igniter sits in a tube you need to keep the space between the igniter and the tube clean, that is the air path the igniter heat the air up and that in turn is sucked into the pellet bed by the combustion blower, if the air path gets dirty the ignition will take longer and longer and the igniter will be placed under to much thermal stress and it will make like a frog and croak early.

Also if the igniter is out of position what I described above will happen as well.

Thanks Smoky,I'll chk that out.Though every time i clean it i make sure to press the vac hose over the tube and suck out anything in it.As for position i'm not sure what the exact spot is.The end sits back in there about 3/16 of an inch.

urkiddin said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
urkiddin said:

If that igniter sits in a tube you need to keep the space between the igniter and the tube clean, that is the air path the igniter heat the air up and that in turn is sucked into the pellet bed by the combustion blower, if the air path gets dirty the ignition will take longer and longer and the igniter will be placed under to much thermal stress and it will make like a frog and croak early.

Thanks Smoky,I'll chk that out.Though every time i clean it i make sure to press the vac hose over the tube and suck out anything in it.As for position i'm not sure what the exact spot is.The end sits back in there about 3/16 of an inch.

Unfortunately the manual I have access to doesn't provide the clearances, on my stove the igniter cartridge is almost flush with the tube end. That assembly sits back very little from the inside wall of the burn pot.

The igniter made it through two seasons, the first three tons of which were burning a very ashy pellet, the stove was cycled daily.

It is on its third season now and still working, however it only gets used once a week at the most these days.

Thanks again Smokey. I'm going to move mine out flush right now and see if it helps.Right now we're using it like 2 times a day,early morning and later in the evening i turn it on.When the real cold gets here the only time i turn it off is to clean it once a week.

well my last igniter just burnt out.it was installed in early December.that makes 3 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.