5510 Thermostat control install problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nerij

Jan 13, 2011
central calif.
Hi ----Help Please!!! Still love my 5510 US Stove, which is working perfectly after making all the adjustments from the forum. Thought I would try and install a thermostat, since after reading the posts on how easy it was. Seems nothing is easy for me when it comes to wiring - I'm an idiot!! Located the jumper block between the tstat terminals - removed the black jumper block - attached 2 18g wires - 1 to ea terminal - then attached those 2 wires in every possible combination on back of the thermostat (yes it is a millivolt thermostat) - installed batteries in the thermostat - room temp was 80 - set thermostat to 90 to test - flipped switch to on(heat) on thermostat and nothing happens!!! Can someone please lead me by the hand and tell me what I am doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

God Bless
Joe

Hi me again--Just read a post from 2009 where a thermostat was installed and they state that you set the stove at any range (turn it on) and the preset thermostat automatically turns down the heat range to #1 once the room is up to the preset temp. I guess I was under the impression the thermostat would just turn off the stove and then restart it when called for. I will try it again tonight and report back. I wonder if it will then revert back to the original setting it lowered it from once the temp gets below the preset?????. GOD Bless, JOE

Moved to the pellet stove forum.

That stove runs in high/low mode IIRC.

Which means you set the maximum firing rate at the controls and then the thermostat will fire at that rate until set point and then the stove is returned to maintain fire mode (the lowest firing rate).

Hi thank you----does the stove and thermostat work in reverse---- ie reverts back to the higher setting when temp drops below set temp.? Also (real dumb question) I have two wires coming from the stat terminals (jumper is removed) one red one white where do I attach them on the thermostat------ G RC RH R W ????

nerij said:
Hi thank you----does the stove and thermostat work in reverse---- ie reverts back to the higher setting when temp drops below set temp.? Also (real dumb question) I have two wires coming from the stat terminals (jumper is removed) one red one white where do I attach them on the thermostat------ G RC RH R W ????

Yes if the temperature drops below the set point - any offset (sometimes called swing) the stove will go to high fire.

Which thermostat are we talking about?

Likely R and W as that is what all of mine here at the house are.

Wow that is great ----- The thermostat is a milivolt --the same as a house thermostat. I will give it a try soon. Thank you very much for your assistance. GOD BLESS JOE

The thermostat wires need to be on the W & RH terminals. If there's a jumper wire between the RC & RH, it can be removed.

W White Heating call Is connected to R or Rh when themostat calls for heat. (Might be jumpered to Y on a heat pump. On others might be second stage heating

Status
Not open for further replies.