1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

555 on CL

Post in 'The Gear' started by Dairyman, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Dairyman

Dairyman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southwest MO

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Don2222

Don2222 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Salem NH
    Hello

I wonder home much the Bar, Chain and brake costs for that?
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Stinks like ad for a stolen saw. $100 for a late-model $600 saw, photo shows the saw in the back of a van/SUV and the seller "just needs money"? If that were the case then he'd be asking what it was worth or a little less just to move it. Not giving it away to get rid of it before the cops catch up to him.

I'd steer clear of that one.
    pen, ScotO, BrianK and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    It's hot as a pistol.
  5. Not every good deal means it's stolen. Maybe he was just offered $75 at a pawn shop. Could be he really needs the money. To me used saws are worth 1/2 retail the moment they are used. Sure he could try to get 250 but it could take a few weeks depending on his local CL market. And if you need the money...
  6. Dairyman

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    Thanks gang, cl deals are rare around here. Normally their asking 500 for a wore out 361 so I'll pass. The better half would put me in the dog house anyway.
  7. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    The trouble with stolen is that, if you don't buy it, someone else will. ;lol
  8. ethanhudson

ethanhudson Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    I've got a 555 with a MM and I love it. But I agree with the consesnus above. If its too good to be true...
  9. ethanhudson

ethanhudson Member

Loc:
    South Dakota
    Bar and chain are standard Husky small mount, so it depends on the size you need. The brake, depends on what it's missing. New brake band is about $11.
  10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Dairyman likes this.
  11. I would. He's been trying to sell it for a month. If it was stolen he'd have been caught by now.

If anything, he's guilty of bad marketing.
    Joful and StihlHead like this.
  12. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

The 550/555 is a bad azz looking saw. I have yet to run one. Too bad they have outboard clutches, like the 346. I had a 346 and it was a little screamer. MM is an advantage in my view, and has been shaken out.

I would kick the tires on that saw and see what falls out of it. It may be scored, or otherwise damaged if the brake system is missing or damaged. Stolen saws do not tend to have missing bars and brake systems on them. Personally I put my DL number in small black letters under the engine covers of my saws, and I have all my saws ID/serial numbers on a list here on my computer and on paper.

How many of you have your chainsaw serial numbers, in case they are stolen? Raise your hands...
    Dairyman likes this.
  13. I have mine.
    StihlHead likes this.
  14. StihlHead

StihlHead Guest

Well, you and I think alike... we culled all the Huskies... well, wait a minute, you got a 254xp? Wadd'ya think?
  15. Dairyman

Loc:
    Southwest MO
  16. Dairyman

Loc:
    Southwest MO
    Been there done that, have them.
  17. Like it enough that I may be switching sides ;)

It fits in size wise right between my ms361 and 026. Fast revving like my ms200 and more power than a ms261 while about the same weight. What's not to like? There are rumors that Husqvarna under rated the 4.1 horse power rating as to not take sales away from the 266... Had a 268xp that I wasn't all that impressed with. This 254xp has me looking for the mythical 242xp just because it's so good.

Did just sell my 024 (one only needs so many 60cc and smaller saws)