5th year, stove glass always the same...Any ideas?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
5th year, stove glass always the same after about a solid day of running with Vermont Softwood. I always have the thick black pattern. It come off easy enough...Heat is great, stove running great. Past years sent similar note...folks said fuel air mix too rich needs more air. I do have a marking on the door flapper push pull bar that approximates the correct mag setting. I have been experimenting opening the vent wider and wider but it doesn't seem to make any difference in the black soot on the glass...maybe I need to close the door more in the other direction...? My settings are: Temp above 32, Feed 1 ( first light) Fan 3, Combustion 3
Temp below 32, Feed 2. Fan 3, Combustion 3
Temp below 0, Feed 3. Fan 3,4 combustion 3

When I have tried Hardwoods, I go from alight brown haze to a thick brown coating just like the black/softwood....Maybe it's just my set-up. Standard 4" pipe 30' up the chimney...Oak goes straight out from the back of the stove through the chimney. Any thoughts????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
For the first time this season I reamed out the airflow ducts below the glass where the air wash for the glass comes out. Mine is a Harman but the principle should be the same. Glass is much cleaner for longer. I used real pipe cleaners with bristles - not the soft one from a craft store that my kids used to play with. Might be worth a try.

Interesting, never heard of this. I take it it must be some kind of "Channel, or holes" Looking in my manual, they don't mention any maintenance? Bill

Interesting, never heard of this. I take it it must be some kind of "Channel, or holes" Looking in my manual, they don't mention any maintenance? Bill

Presumably there is some outlet for the air that is intended to "wash" the interior of the glass and keep it clean [yeah, right]. In any event, cleaning out those channels made a big difference on my Accentra FS.

I think I have my answer thanks to some old posts fro jakeman, and smokeythe bear.....basically sh-t happen and there's not much you can do about it. If the stove works right and you have good heat, enjoy it and don't worry about the glass! I guess it's just how anal one wants to get about how it looks. So I have this pattern after a day plus, sometimes mid week I clean it, otherwise I wait for my Sat/Sun cleaning. I will try to checkout the air wash but this pattern is apparently an Inviro thing....I can live with it! Besides, the heat is awesome! Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.