6’’ liner down a 8x8 masonary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sauer

Jan 27, 2009
SE WI
what are the odds of stuffing 6 inch flex down a square 8x8 terra cotta, chimney has slight bend to it.
thanks for the input. obviously uninsulated. it is an interior chimney woops I didnt realize I was on the boiler room. I will repost on the hearth forum

I will move this for you, no problem...

A 6" flex should be able to go down as long as the tiles line up reasonably close, and there aren't any big cement boogers sticking out between them... However you will NOT be getting an insulation jacket down there, as the flex just barely makes it, and will be close to touching on the sides. If you put in a bottom blockoff plate it is possible to pour the space between the liner and the tiles full of vermiculite, or some of the other special purpose insulating concrete blends to give at least SOME level of insulation.

Gooserider

I had the same issue with my long flue (7"x7" ID). I preinstalled the tee (minus the snout) onto my Magnaflex flex liner, and installed an eyelet at the base of the tee to attach a rope. I also made a cone for the end to help guide it down the 35' flue. One guy on top feeding, and another at the bottom pulling a little as she went. No real issues, but there was one or two times I thought "oh sh!t". We just had to work it back and forth a little. Once I had the liner down, I end up make up a perlite and cement mix to fill the base of the flue (about 4" to 6" worth). Once that was filled, I bought 8 cu ft of perlite from a guy that was selling it really cheap (see contact info below). I poured the loose perlite in from the top. I have no idea how well it filled the gaps, but I ended up using almost exactly what I would I would based on crunching the numbers on paper, so I'm guessing it filled in nicely.

Perlite:
Rick Harland
www.hometownperlite.com
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.