6.5 cents per pound?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
Hi, generally don't post but read a bunch when the snow flies - so is 6 1/2 half cents a pound a good price? Neighbor and I bartered some things - I didn't want to give him anything but the best so I hand selected the hardest, most weathered wood I could find at a local supplier. The cargo van is rated for 3600 pds, I put 2500 in and the suspension hardly budged. And yeah, I climbed to the top of those piles to get the stuff most baked by mother nature. IMG_1274.jpgIMG_1275.jpgIMG_1276.jpgIMG_1277.jpg

Thx

Reactions: albert1029
That's an interesting way of pricing. Well a cord of green oak weighs about 4000 lbs. so at 6.5 cents a pound that runs $260 a cord. Prices vary around the country but that sounds in line for this time of year. I am assuming the wood is green because retailers generally don't stack and season the wood a couple years like it needs. Generally they heap it at the end of the processor like those piles in the picture. If it were me I would check the moisture content with an inexpensive meter before I thought about burning it. Take a piece, re split it. Place the meter prongs in center of wood. 20% or less and your good to go! Good luck!

"Hardest and most weathered' tells us almost nothing about what you got for your money, but I'm gonna say it's probably not a great deal given that you had to work so hard for it.

Well a cord of green oak weighs about 4000 lbs. so at 6.5 cents a pound that runs $260 a cord.

Fresh-cut oak is more like 6000 pounds per cord, which would be $390 and a very bad deal anywhere near Cleveland even if they delivered it for you. But, you probably didn't get all oak and it probably wasn't totally green (though it also isn't likely to be dry). Say you chose really well and got a bunch of white ash and it's all at 25% MC (an improbably good scenario), you'd still be paying around $200 per cord. Better than buying kiln-dried stuff at the grocery store for sure, but not a good deal for bulk firewood in this part of the country, especially given that you had to rent a truck and do all the moving yourself.

Did you sell the wood to him at that price? If so then I would say it was a good deal for you.

had to work so hard for it

This is one of the most important parts of procuring wood that I have learned over the last few years.

IMG_1284.jpg All I know is that the silver wood I got (example on left) cost the equivalent of $150 a cord (4 x 4 x 8) and is ready to burn. The pound vs. volume vs. species thing is probably one of those ask three people get five opinion things. But for what I'm doing yep worth my time and dollars.

"Fresh-cut oak is more like 6000 pounds per cord"

That explains a lot of my suffering to me, although I feel that it gets heavier as the day goes on. Have to tell some of my friends I have handled red oak for about this, they owe me.

Thanks,
Jim[/quote]

Reactions: Standingdead
Personally, I'd never buy wood by the pound. Wood should be measured by the cord only.

That's actually the law in Pa. Wood cannot legally be sold by the pound or "pick-up" load or any other measurement. By the cord only. Yes, some folks do, but don't get caught.

It's been raining lightly today and it's supposed to snow a little tonight. Tomorrow I'm having a heck of a sale. Firewood for 6 cents a pound. Bring your trailers and load up.

Status
Not open for further replies.