6.5" x 10.5" clay flue liner, which stainless liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeStaten

Sep 21, 2016
Somerset, New Jersey
Assuming a 6" insulated stainless liner won't fit? Any recommendations as far as insulated oval liner brands?

The measurements I listed in title are inside dimensions. Insert has a 6" flue diameter.

Thanks,
Mike

I have the same issue. My clay is 7 x 11. Will be watching the reply's. I'm planning on using a Rutland sweepall 8 inch poly brush.

How tall is your chimney? I have the 7x11 flue as well there was no way a 6" liner would fit with insulation. My chimney was only about 13ft tall so it wasn't tall enough for me to get away with a 5.5 insulated liner. I just put the 6" liner down, made the block off plate with Roxul on top and used the pour in insulation all around the liner. It was the best I could fit that would still perform well.

I would call woodland direct.com and ask them for an ovalized liner for a 6in appliance. It ends up being a 6.5in (I believe if memory seves me correctly) liner ovalized. The final dimensions end up being 4.5inx8in or there abouts. After you insulate it'll be around 6inx 9.5in. I had the same issue with a friends chimney and it worked well as long as you don't have mis-aligned clay flue tiles or chucks of mortar sticking into the flue area.

Hi Mike,
I'm pulling my liner tomorrow, I have a 7x11 as well. I took a 6" liner and had it ovalized to 4x7.5. I just wrapped it in 1/2" insulate today so hopefully it won't be that bad. I will let you know how it worked out tomorrow.

Pat

Pat, interested in how the install went.
Steve

Hey Steve
The liner was pretty easy to install considering there were two 45 degree bends in the flue. The insert went well until I tried to put the shroud on after inspection. I need to move the insert out about 1" but the liner and block off won't allow it. I need to hook up an elbow and sort it out. I did 2 break in fires and it ran awesome when it was hooked up. Pat

Bust out the tiles.
We break out all the time but in fireplaces we try to avoid doing it unless totally necessary. That way someone can go back if desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.