6-9 more F*%#ing inches of snow for Portland Maine Tomorrow!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I just found my wood splitter from under the 4 feet of snow pack and now we are getting more!!!! I am so done with this winter. I need to get 8 cord of wood split and stacked! Enough is enough!!!

good for you!!!! could you send down here???

You can have it ice. We are moving into low 60s days and mid to low 50s nights and I am more than happy to see it. One stove still running but that will be over by next week.

say what you want you will be missing that stove by may august you will have the itch and sept you will notice your"starting temp" will rise about about 5 degrees so you can fire that sucker up!!!

I'm tired of being cold. Snowed again a bit yesterday. S'posed to snow again tonight/tomorrow. Nightime temps in the teens, daytime gets up (briefly) to the low 40's. Out splitting kindling this afternoon, gazing at the icicles hanging from my Jeep. Still burning in two stoves every day...not as intensely as back in January, but it's taken a toll on me. I'm ready for some warmer temps, got stove maintenance and pipe/chimney cleaning to attend to, and wood accumulation for next season (assuming this season ever ends). Rick

iceman said:
say what you want you will be missing that stove by may august you will have the itch and sept you will notice your"starting temp" will rise about about 5 degrees so you can fire that sucker up!!!

Ah yes. I remember those days. It has been a few years.

yup they are saying 1 to 4" tonight into Friday. Still a ft. or two of snow in the woods so it's a pain to drop trees. You walk on top of snow then go down. But the sun is higher and it's nice to be outside cutting wood. I have most of 09/10 winter cut but not split, homemade splitter is next on the agenda. Good to be retired but you still never stop.

Don't you live up North for the cooler temps and long winters? Grin.

I do know what you mean about more snow. We have had a long winter here also but it is now
thawing and looking better. Still lots of snow on the ground yet. I have been felling dead elms
on our property for the last couple of weekends and as soon as we can get free wood permits
next week I have a friend who wants to cut oak together. The permits are for dead wood only
which will be fine by fall to burn. After the frost laws come off I will order a tri axle to cut up
during the summer for the following year.

I swatted a mosquito yesterday when it was 71 out here. Give me snow over those little vampires any day.

Looks like it's 19 degrees where my parents live right now, so they might not agree.

Well just brought the dogs in and wanted to report about an inch of new fallen snow on the ground. Broke a steering bolt on the tractor yesterday so maybe if all goes well I'll be splitting today...I expect this snow to be gone when the sun hits it.

We have about 4" of new snow on the ground as I type and it is still snowing. expected to get 4-8 total. enough is enough, but at least the overall temps are staying up there. I hate those single digit nights./

michaelthomas said:
I just found my wood splitter from under the 4 feet of snow pack and now we are getting more!!!! I am so done with this winter. I need to get 8 cord of wood split and stacked! Enough is enough!!!

I agree mike! Snowing like crazy here....I want spring!

Right now in Wisconsin we are in second place for worst winter on record. Were close to 100 inches, might as well get one more dump and break the record. Last weekend we wanted to go to the cabin and the snow storm was so bad we stayed home. I had 17" of snow on my sidewalk. With heavy slush like on the bottom. I don't remember seeing this much snow since I was a kid.

I would have thought the WI and ME records would be higher. Where I went to school (Houghton, MI) the record is 356", and 390" a little farther north. 200" would be an ordinary year. Lots of lake effect snow. I guess it's easy to be nostalgic for that living out here with our 6" snowfall for the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.