6 blinks and out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pjstarr1

Nov 2, 2008
RI
cox.net
Love the forum! Got an interesting problem. Working with a brand new freestanding Accentra, so no "build-up" related causes. Installed the new Accentra to replace my wood stove of 15 years that had backdraft problems when winds from NE (chimney lower than main roof). Anyways, the dealer couldn't install for weeks, so I installed. One tee with cleanout off back, vertical run of 2 feet, one elbow, and through a 3" to 6" reducer into chimney pipe. Followed all directions. Started the new stove Friday PM, calm winds. Ran 50 minutes, then 6 blinks. Read manual - poor or incomplete combustion. Feed at 4, and draft was set at factory for max draft. Reset and tried again. 50 minutes and bingo, 6 blinks.

I have since checked chimney - clean as a whistle. Checked the air inlet one way backdraft damper - works fine. (There is some kind of filter material at the casing opening of the air inlet pipe - I left it there). Checked the air chamber under the burnpot, clean as you would expect. Burnpot clean, again , as you would expect. Checked intale assembly panel, properly latched and looked behind at combustion fan - new and spinning freely. Unit feeds with no problem. Yesterday, I tried feed rates from 2.5 to 5, same thing, 50 minutes and then 6 blinks. Tried different draft settings - min to mid to max on the draft pot, same thing 50 minutes and 6 blinks. ESP probe in place and of course, is clean as a whistle. Called the dealer - too busy to talk to me. No return call. Thoughts? (I'm good with a multi-meter).

don't know that model, but I'd put money on a loose connection for the temp sensor, or it went bad- next would be the control board itself. try re-seating the connections on the main board, first, then check the mounting of the temp sensor.

It's a Harmon stove. The material in the back in way of the air intake is like 1/2 thick felt, in two semi-circle halves. It has a /2" gap between it at the cut down the middle. I will check the connections.

pull that stuff out and pull that stuff out and try it tonite- I think that may be your problemtry it tonite- I think that may be your problem, GVA may be right- there is NOTHING in my stoves intake, except the screen on the outside of the house

okay - i will give it a try. I am vented from inside the house, no outside air. I will double check those connections and let you know.

huck said:
okay - i will give it a try. I am vented from inside the house, no outside air. I will double check those connections and let you know.

your stove is starved for air...after you pop out the backplates for the outside air intake...stick you hand through it ...theres a little door flap on a hinge that should open freely, if it doesn't just give it a gentle push to make sure it opens.

I have had 3 stoves do this in the last 2 weeks. The 6 blink shows incomplete cumbustion but doesn't say what the issue is. One of the stoves had pellets that were too long. The pellets bridged and wouldn't feed enough the heat up the stove. The ESP measures the exhaust temp and the control board compares to the feed rate to figure out if the temp is correct depending on the feed rate. If not the stove goes into 6 blinks and shuts down. The other 2 stoves needed new ESP's. Even though they cheked out ok the stove wouldn't burn correctly until they were replaced.

breklaw is correct, you need to remove that felt material. Page 14 of Harman installation and operating manual under section "Outside Air" Quote " There is a break-away hole on the rear panel which must be removed before connecting the flex pipe. hope this helps

My new XXV did same thing right out of the "box", turned out to be room temp sensor, if I wiggled the end of sensor wire, all would be fine, if i did not, I would get 6 blinks as well. Replaced the room temp sensor, and problem fixed.

okay - I removed the felt. No change. Then, I opened the back and checked the ESP connection and wires, looked good. Then I opened the control panel and looked inside and found the ESP connections were fine.

The dealer says see you in a week. Where do I find the room air sensor?

the room air sensor should have been in the packaging that came with your stove. It's usually coiled up in the zip bag with the owners manual.

oh, that sensor. I think that is working because when I increase or decrease the set temp, the stove cuts in or out. I did add to the length of the 5' probe though, adding another 20' using a 2 conductor wire with the gauge req'd.

Status
Not open for further replies.