6" collar, 7" pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulypoppins

Oct 30, 2015
Paris, Ontario
Hi all,

So I've removed the gas insert and have have everything inspected to install the wood burning insert. I've got a full masonry chimney with two liners in place. The 4" liner from the gas insert that I'll have removed is inside the 7" stainless liner that used to be connected to a wood insert in the past. My question is, will there be an issue upsizing to the 7" pipe from the 6" insert collar? I'll obviously need a reducer for the connection, but will the draft be an issue, or something I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance!
Paul

So long as your liner and that chimney are up to the task, and you have a good height (what is the height of the chimney and/or length of the liner?) then you should be fine.

Ideally, the diameter of the liner matches the stove, but from 6 to 7 isn't bad, especially if you have a chimney with some height. If it's a short setup,,, then time will tell.

Is that 7 in liner insulated? Interior / exterior chimney?

pen

So long as your liner and that chimney are up to the task, and you have a good height (what is the height of the chimney and/or length of the liner?) then you should be fine.

Ideally, the diameter of the liner matches the stove, but from 6 to 7 isn't bad, especially if you have a chimney with some height. If it's a short setup,,, then time will tell.

Is that 7 in liner insulated? Interior / exterior chimney?

pen

Those are some great points. The chimney is an interior chimney running from the main floor through the second story and the attic. I'd say around 30 feet. (Or so)

Paul

Sounds like that will draft great.

It would be a good insurance to have a camera sent down the 7in liner once that 4 inch liner is taken out just to double check that 7 inch liner is still in good shape and wasn't damaged upon installation or the reason they switched to gas.

Good luck,

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.