6 inch stovepipe cleaning brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pellet9999

Sep 3, 2008
ny
what would be recommended brush to clean out 6 inch Duratech and regular 6 inch black pipe?
I have to go from underneath and only have 2 ft clearance so I need to screw on extensions as I go...
maybe 2 ft extensions... my whole pipe run,outside vertical,is only 6 ft now... but might be longer later.
This pine isnt the cleanest..

Any 6" round brush will do the job...
You're gonna hafta get a VERY flexible brush rod...
Most of em are 5' long & the REALLY thin flexible ones will need an
adapter for the different thread sizes between the brush & the rod...

The poly brushes are very stiff. I do not think you would even be able to get a 7" brush into a 6" chimney. There is a new style out (in Canada anyway) that uses smaller flexible line (think big weed eater string) that you attach to a cordless drill. The rods were very short and very flexible. If I find the brand name I will update this post.

Alberta Burner said:
The poly brushes are very stiff. I do not think you would even be able to get a 7" brush into a 6" chimney. There is a new style out (in Canada anyway) that uses smaller flexible line (think big weed eater string) that you attach to a cordless drill. The rods were very short and very flexible. If I find the brand name I will update this post.

http://www.sooteater.com/

On the 2' rods, I doubt you would find any in that size. You might think about something we once did because of that same situation which was to get some 1/2" pipe and cut it to length. Then thread both ends. Naturally you would need a coupling on one end. But this is a quick and easy fix to your problem. If you do not have the tools, don't worry. You can buy the pipe and they will thread it for you. Then the couplings will cost maybe a dollar or two apiece.

I just cleaned my chimneys myself for the first time (they've been cleaned before, just not by me :) ) and one is a 6" Duratech. I used the heavy-duty 6" poly brush that you can buy from Northline Express - it was around $22 and will likely last a very long time. It's pretty stout. I also bought the 4' rods - there were some thinner ones available which would provide more flex and I think you could get 3' lengths. I'm cleaning mine from the roof, so I don't have the clearance/flexibility issues that you do.

Backwoods Savage - you guys got snow up there yet?

You definitely want the 6" poly brush for a 6" pipe, nothing more, nothing less... If you can't get poly, you probably could get away with steel, but the poly is what the liner makers reccomend. If you have REALLY heavy buildups, you may have trouble getting a poly brush up the pipe, if so, get a second 6" brush in wire or poly, and trim the bristles to make a cone shape - I used a steel brush that I trimmed down with an angle grinder. Punch through once or twice with the cone brush, which should open the pipe up enough to get through with the poly brush...

For rods, look at some of my other posts where I've described the setup I use with 1/2" grey PVC non-metallic electrical conduit. The stuff is VERY flexible, I am cleaning from the bottom with about a 12" gap between the bottom of my stove's Tee, and the hearth floor. It's a b____h to get the brush started up the pipe, but once I do it is no problem at all to go up the rest of the way.... IMHO this is a far better solution than the "official" rods as it has all the flex one needs, is nice and sturdy, plus you can do a comlete 30' conduit setup for less money than one 4' section of "official" rod would cost...

Gooserider

I just had ace hardware order me a 6" poly brush for $14.99, still need to buy my rods from tractor supply

kingfisher said:
I just had ace hardware order me a 6" poly brush for $14.99, still need to buy my rods from tractor supply
Ace is a good place to get the brush, when I got mine a couple years back they were the best price I found... But DON'T waste money on rods at TSC... Go to the electrical dept. at Sloews or Home Despot, and get some 1/2" NMT, the plumbing dept for a couple adapters to connect the 1/4" NPT threads on the brush to the conduit, and a few bolts from the hardware department to fasten things together - you will walk out with a complete rod set for less than TSC will want for one rod section, and have something that works better...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.