6" Liner? For safety? Do I need one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vender

Oct 19, 2013
Columbus
Hello all, I have a 1896 home. I was looking at the chimney 6 1/2 x 10 1/2 clay tile lined. Should I put a liner in for safety? Its only 10 feet. Would you bring the liner all the way to the stove or thimble? Also can I stuff pink insulation between the liner and clay liner? The chimney is in great shape, tile looks very good. I just want it to be safe. In past post I said it was not lined, it is. Also can I just run the liner up to the existing cap? I was going to use the cap thats on the chimney and run the liner up to it. Thanks for all your help.

10feet sounds too short. Can you get it up to 15?

Liner will add a factor of safety, but it should also be insulated.

However you will not be getting a 6 inch insulated liner down a 6.5" clay stack.:(

The pink insulation is NOT for the purpose you asked about. Do NOT use it there.

I have 8 feet of black stove pipe adding to the ten feet of chimney. Is that good enough? Also no pink stuff, why not? Gotta ask. Should I use the pour chimney insulation?

I have 8 feet of black stove pipe adding to the ten feet of chimney. Is that good enough? Also no pink stuff, why not? Gotta ask. Should I use the pour chimney insulation?

You need class A chimney for any outside application, not just black stove pipe. There are adapters to go from a liner to class A pipe; check with the manufacturer of the class A you want to use. Since you don't have a lot of room to work with, pour-in insulation may be your best option. Put a 1 gl paint can (diameter 6.5"; HT to Brother Bart for that suggestion) on a rope and lower that down your chimney to see if you even have enough room for a 6" liner. You may need to downsize to a 5.5".

What stove do you want to install? You may need one that drafts well on an undersized flue.

with modern stoves the general rule of thumb is that the "cross sectional" value of the flue (square inches of opening) is no more than 2 times the cross sectional value of the flue collar on the appliance on an exterior chimney ( one or more sides exposed to outdoors below the roofline), or 3 times cross sectional value on interior chimneys ( no exposure to outside below the roofline ((NFPA211 chapter 12.4.4)

now a 6.5 X 10.5 flue is 68.25 sq inches of cross sectional value, and a 6 inch flue collar (round) is 6 X pi r squared, or 28.26 square inches of cross sectional value, so it does not meet the requirement if its an exterior chimney but it does if its an interior one.

I am looking at the Drolet HT-2000. The manual says my flue needs to match the stoves diameter. It is an interior chimney. I have black stove pipe rising to a 90 then into the chimney. I can get a 6" liner down the chimney its only 10 feet. But not wrapped in insulation.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 89
If the chimney was properly installed with a 2" gap from any combustibles then no need for the liner, but it would be safer to have one. You should not use fiberglass insulation for areas in direct contact with the flue. Use mineral wood insulation (Roxul) or ceramic wool (kaowool) instead. For a small job getting a small amount of kaowool would probably be cheaper and with less excess.

Status
Not open for further replies.