6' Liner Stuck/ Through the brick chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jjsmoov

Jan 12, 2017
Kansas City
Hello all, this is my first post have mercy on me

So I'm putting a wood burning stove w/ a 6" flue in my fireplace. The chimney flue is 7", however my 6" Chimney liner is FREAKING STUCK!!!! I made the end of it like a funnel, and attached a good rope to it. My friend pushing, I was pulling like crazy, I have it almost all way in there and it wont move! So I've read you can't go 6" to 5" liner, SO CAN I JUST PUT A HOLE IN THE CHIMNEY BRICK AND RUN THE PIPE STAIGHT OUT THROUGH THE CHIMNEY?
Please help.
thanks

It may be hitting an off set edge of a clay tile or even a hunk of mortar. Sometimes it you pull it up a few inches, and rotate it 90 degrees, it will pass by that area. Just like a cork screw, keep turning it. It could be something else up there that is holding it. A 6" liner is around 6.25" it you are using standard flex liner. They also make 5.5" liners but you would need to check with the stove mag to see if that is acceptable with them. NO you cannot just put a hole in the chimney and run the liner out the hole.

Hello all, this is my first post have mercy on me

So I'm putting a wood burning stove w/ a 6" flue in my fireplace. The chimney flue is 7", however my 6" Chimney liner is FREAKING STUCK!!!! I made the end of it like a funnel, and attached a good rope to it. My friend pushing, I was pulling like crazy, I have it almost all way in there and it wont move! So I've read you can't go 6" to 5" liner, SO CAN I JUST PUT A HOLE IN THE CHIMNEY BRICK AND RUN THE PIPE STAIGHT OUT THROUGH THE CHIMNEY?
Please help.
thanks
Yeah that happens sometimes and it sucks. you just need to work at it wiggling and trying to turn and hopefully it will come loose so you can get it out. I have to ask have you confirmed that you have proper clearances from the outside of the masonry structure? If you don't you will need that liner to be insulated for safety and code compliance. And to do that you will need to remove the old clay liners.

Thanks guys very much for your advise.

It may be hitting an off set edge of a clay tile or even a hunk of mortar. Sometimes it you pull it up a few inches, and rotate it 90 degrees, it will pass by that area. Just like a cork screw, keep turning it. It could be something else up there that is holding it. A 6" liner is around 6.25" it you are using standard flex liner. They also make 5.5" liners but you would need to check with the stove mag to see if that is acceptable with them. NO you cannot just put a hole in the chimney and run the liner out the hole.

So the manual does say 6" minimum. I didn't know if that was law never to be fudged. So I realize I cant just put a hole in the chimney like I said, but your saying there is not a way to go through the fireplace brick?

Yeah that happens sometimes and it sucks. you just need to work at it wiggling and trying to turn and hopefully it will come loose so you can get it out. I have to ask have you confirmed that you have proper clearances from the outside of the masonry structure? If you don't you will need that liner to be insulated for safety and code compliance. And to do that you will need to remove the old clay liners.

Thank you bholler,
when you say proper clearance are you are you talking about clearance above the roof. it's in a the chimney so I don't think I would need insulation. We used the fireplace the last couple years so the masonry liner would be enough right?

when you say proper clearance are you are you talking about clearance above the roof. it's in a the chimney so I don't think I would need insulation. We used the fireplace the last couple years so the masonry liner would be enough right?
No I am talking about clearance between the outside of the masonry structure of the chimney and any combustible material. Just because you used the chimney does not mean it meets code or is safe. Here is the code requirement. If you dont have that required clearance (which most do not) You need insulation.

http://www.rumford.com/code/clearances.html

@jjsmoov, what pipe are you using, is it an insulated flexible liner or an un-insulated liner??

I said, but your saying there is not a way to go through the fireplace brick?
Yes there are ways to do it. What would that accomplish for you though?

, what pipe are you using, is it an insulated flexible liner or an un-insulated liner??
It is a bare 6" liner. And yes many times a bare 6" liner will not fit down a clay liner

It is a bare 6" liner. And yes many times a bare 6" liner will not fit down a clay liner
I believe it can be a challenge unless the masonry chimney was built nice and plumb with not mortar sticking out of the seams.

It would accomplish me getting the wood brning stove in the fireplace, the only place my wife will let me have it. and I don't think I will be able to get that liner out. I have a few confessions the liner is not long enough to go to the very top. It will be about 5' above roof but 5' from the top. So there is only 5" hanging out the top of the chimney but it's not reachable trough the bottom of the flue yet. And also I freaking dropped a dumbbell weight in the liner to try to push it down :( it only moved it about 6 " this is devastating!

It would accomplish me getting the wood brning stove in the fireplace, the only place my wife will let me have it. and I don't think I will be able to get that liner out. I have a few confessions the liner is not long enough to go to the very top. It will be about 5' above roof but 5' from the top. So there is only 5" hanging out the top of the chimney but it's not reachable trough the bottom of the flue yet. And also I freaking dropped a dumbbell weight in the liner to try to push it down :( it only moved it about 6 " this is devastating!
Well there are times that we have to open up the chimney to clear an obstruction. But you also need to check for clearances. You can put a crock in the chimney above the fireplace but We would need allot more info to give you any real advice on it. you will also have to open up a big hole so you can get the tee in there.

Well there are times that we have to open up the chimney to clear an obstruction. But you also need to check for clearances. You can put a crock in the chimney above the fireplace but We would need allot more info to give you any real advice on it. you will also have to open up a big hole so you can get the tee in there.
What's a crock

We had it inspected and they said we can use it for wood burning, now are you saying it's different when you use a liner in the than using it for wood burning

Don't care about a big hole just want to use my stove

We had it inspected and they said we can use it for wood burning, now are you saying it's different when you use a liner in the than using it for wood burning
No I am saying that you need to check for proper clearances. It is extremely rare to find a chimney that actually has them. It is no different other than the fact that with a stove the temps in the chimney will be higher much more consistently than in an open fireplace.

Don't care about a big hole just want to use my stove
So cut a big hole get the liner out. Get the proper length liner check for proper clearances and install it right so your install is safe and you are not risking your house and your life.

So cut a big hole get the liner out. Get the proper length liner check for proper clearances and install it right so your install is safe and you are not risking your house and your life.
I appreciate it bholler, your the man (or woman) thanks for answering my ? anymore advise feel free to give it.

I appreciate it bholler, your the man (or woman) thanks for answering my ? anymore advise feel free to give it.
This is not a place to cut corners. When things go wrong they can go really wrong

Reactions: Squisher and edyit
This is not a place to cut corners. When things go wrong they can go really wrong

I second this. You're bringing fire inside your house. Why on earth anyone would want to take short cuts or go "good enough" with that is beyond me. If you've ever burned a couch outside you'd do everything you possibly could to prevent that from happening inside.

No I am saying that you need to check for proper clearances. It is extremely rare to find a chimney that actually has them. It is no different other than the fact that with a stove the temps in the chimney will be higher much more consistently than in an open fireplace.

I would think this is true only if the chimney has no ss liner, right? It seems like a liner would cause lower chimney temps.

Last edited:
I would think this is true only if the chimney has no ss liner, right? It seems like a liner would cause lower chimney temps.
Nope the stainless liner does very little to reduce temps in that chimney especially when it is in contact with the old liner.

I just can't figure it because most of the heat should be directed vertical up the SS liner. I would think anything radiated or conducted through the surface of the liner would be minimal compared with what is flowing straight up and out.

But in this case I will have to defer to the professionals because my sweep said exactly the same thing as bholler and I know this guy is honest as they come and he was not trying to sell me anything I did not need.

He insisted an insulated liner was the way to go for safety's sake. He preached about "clearance to combustibles".

Reactions: bholler
I just can't figure it because most of the heat should be directed vertical up the SS liner. I would think anything radiated or conducted through the surface of the liner would be minimal compared with what is flowing straight up and out. But in this case I will have to defer to the professionals because my sweep said exactly the same thing as bholler and I know this guy is honest as they come.
Well you are right the vast majority of the heat will get directed up and out but that does not mean that there still will not be plenty of heat sent out through that liner. Just look at the stove pipe as an example the get pretty hot which is why you need 18" of clearance from them. And we all know that just one layer of brick is not enough to protect a wall from the pipe especially if you had the pipe touching on one side and combustibles touching on the other. So why do people think it was ok to do it with the liner and chimney?

I'm running an experiment. I'm gonna find me a brick, rest it on the top of my horizontal pipe exiting the stove, and IR temp measure it after the stove is running hot for 5 hours. Unless the argument is that those temps are not as hot as a chimney fire gets?