6" Pipe, Double or Triple walled?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Double-wall class A pipe is the best way to go.

Inside to ceiling transition double wall attic space on up Triple wall. If single story on main floor. The double wall lets you tuck it a bit closer to the wall as the 30 comes with a rear heat shield installed. If basement insulated sleeve in the brick and mortar all the way. If passing through basement wall then up triple all the way or insulated double wall surrounded by a chase of the appropriate size for internal clearances. Try not to have any horizontal runs, always have a rise from one end to the other on that section if no other possibility.

Inside to ceiling transition double wall attic space on up Triple wall. If single story on main floor. The double wall lets you tuck it a bit closer to the wall as the 30 comes with a rear heat shield installed. If basement insulated sleeve in the brick and mortar all the way. If passing through basement wall then up triple all the way or insulated double wall surrounded by a chase of the appropriate size for internal clearances. Try not to have any horizontal runs, always have a rise from one end to the other on that section if no other possibility.
I disagree, insulated double wall is a better product. It keeps the temperature up inside the stack much better than triple wall and it is smaller outside diameter as well. There is also no need for double wall class a to be enclosed in a chase other than cosmetics.

Does anyone I know why they even build the triple wall? Still has 2" ctc. Just 2" bigger OD for the same ID. I don't get it.

Does anyone I know why they even build the triple wall? Still has 2" ctc. Just 2" bigger OD for the same ID. I don't get it.
it is cheaper that is it. No other reason for it

See, that's what I don't understand. How is it cheaper with an extra layer of stainless?

I think it sells well in box stores, because the average consumer must think that three pipes gotta be better than two. In reality, all it does is make you cut bigger holes in your house.

See, that's what I don't understand. How is it cheaper with an extra layer of stainless?
That inner wall is not stainless usually and if it is it is very thin. The insulation is expensive so using much less of it cuts cost. The problem i have with it is the fact that it does not keep the stack temp up as well.

That inner wall is not stainless usually and if it is it is very thin. The insulation is expensive so using much less of it cuts cost. The problem i have with it is the fact that it does not keep the stack temp up as well.
And mud dobbers, wasps and every other flying creature love to build nests in the outer air cooled wall. It's a mess, I would definitely use solid pack double wall chimney.

Reactions: bholler
Slight correction, the inner wall on dura-plus triple wall pipe is .16" 430 stainless steel inner liner. The in-between wall is made of aluminized steel which costs less.

webby3650, good point about the wasp nest areas.

Reactions: bholler
From stove collar to ceiling support box, double wall black pipe is the best (keeps flue temps higher) from ceiling support to chimney cap use stainless insulated class A pipe. You do that and the nc30 will be a happy stove.

Slight correction, the inner wall on dura-plus triple wall pipe is .16" 430 stainless steel inner liner. The in-between wall is made of aluminized steel which costs less.
webby3650, good point about the wasp nest areas
that is what i meant sorry i meant the middle layer the inner is absolutely stainless.

Reactions: webby3650
that is what i meant sorry i meant the middle layer the inner is absolutely stainless.

If it is of any help to you when you were talking about the "inner" wall I immediately assumed you meant the middle layer. :)

If it is of any help to you when you were talking about the "inner" wall I immediately assumed you meant the middle layer.
good that is how i meant it but it was not clear at all lol

I have supra( or whatever Box store buy) triple wall attic on up where do you find an area for the bugs? sealed on both ends of each section. only spot I get bugs is under storm collar sometimes.
I did mean plain black double wall inside to ceiling transition

Didn't even know they still made the triple wall air cooled stuff- had that on on an old zero clearance wall hung heatalator product- rusts out.

I have supra( or whatever Box store buy) triple wall attic on up where do you find an area for the bugs? sealed on both ends of each section. only spot I get bugs is under storm collar sometimes.
I did mean plain black double wall inside to ceiling transition
If it is seald at both ends it is not triple wall. Triple wall is air cooled and the air needs to circulate from section to section in order to work properly.

Didn't even know they still made the triple wall air cooled stuff- had that on on an old zero clearance wall hung heatalator product- rusts out.
Yes they do there is the type used on zeroclearance units that is tested to a lower temperature and a few brands that are tested to the higher temperatures needed for a wood stove.

Bought an Englander Model # 30-NCH 2,400 sq. ft. Wood-Burning Stove that I learned about a sale from a thread here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-30-nch-now-on-sale-649.142223/ (thanks btw)

My question is whether to use double or triple walled pipe for the run through the attic, and from roof to end of run.

I've heard that the faster the smoke cools inside the pipe, the faster creosote builds up

TIA
Trik_Ster
Have double wall from stove to ceiling, triple wall through attic. Find out your local fire codes so u don't void home owners insurance. Single wall would work coming out of stove if u prefer.

Have double wall from stove to ceiling, triple wall through attic.
Most of us prefer double wall insulated over triple wall through the attic for lots of good reasons. As far as single or double below the ceiling that depends on the stove and the clearances available. For most stoves with a relatively short run of pipe single wall will work fine as long as you have the 18" clearance required. But double wall connector pipe is much better

Status
Not open for further replies.