6" to 8" flue pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffC

Nov 13, 2007
NY
We currently have a 1970s Defiant with an 8" flue pipe (which we had installed in our fireplace flue). We are replacing this stove with a somewhat smaller stove. The pipe is 6". The stove pipe has to go into the wall aka old fireplace at a 90 degree angle--I am not sure how they do it (we are not doing it ourselves). Is there going to be a condensation problem? Are there any problems going from the 6" to the 8"? Someone at work suggested I have a 6" stainles liner put inside the 8" insulated pipe that runs inside my old fireplace chimney...is there any reason I should stick with an 8" pipe (there are not many models that use the 8" pipe...)? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Going from 6" to 8" is OK code wise, and shouldn't cause any significant operational problems. More significant, what is in the old fireplace for a pipe? Many old installs just used the original flue, which might NOT be OK in terms of cross section area requirements. Another concern might be what kind of shape is that 30-40 year old flue?

I would suggest getting the chimney professionally cleaned and checked, both to see exactly what you have, and what sort of shape it's in.

If you have a full length 8" liner, and it's in good shape, there is no reason not to put a 6-8" converter in the pipe - probably where you enter the old chimney, but it doesn't really matter, and go with the 8" setup.

If you don't have a full 8" liner, or what you have is not in good useable condition, then you are probably better off going for a 6" re-line. There is no real benefit to going with an 8" flue as you are unlikely to want to put in a stove that needs it.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.