60' blue spruce meets the saws

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScotO

We did a nice tall blue spruce this morning. It was around 60-65' and around 8' from the guys fence and 5' from the poolhouse. It had a lot of branches but none were longer than 10', so it went pretty quick. We got started so fast I didn't have time to get pics at the beginning of the job, because the wind was calm and we wanted it on the ground before it got real windy. It was nasty when I topped it but other than that it wasn't too bad. I bucked it into 6' sections on the way back down the tree. These pics are from when we had it limbed 20' up and after we cut the top. I ended up with almost a face cord of stuff I'm gonna split small and use in the maple cooker next month.

Attachments

• Gomesspruce11.jpg
    Gomesspruce11.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 682
  • Gomesspruce13.jpg
    Gomesspruce13.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 683
Got it back to the house ready to split.

Attachments

• 2012-01-29_15-09-33_142.jpg
    2012-01-29_15-09-33_142.jpg
    336 KB · Views: 668
Thats a good day. Glad you got it done safely with that wind. Keep peckin away at it.

Looks good Scotty. You said you were cuttin today no matter what. Glad the weather cooporated for you. Did you climb that thing to top it ? If so spikes or just free climb. I made it out y-day and got a nice load. Just got it off the truck and hauled a load down for a fellow that has had some health issues.

Locust Post said:
Looks good Scotty. You said you were cuttin today no matter what. Glad the weather cooporated for you. Did you climb that thing to top it ? If so spikes or just free climb. I made it out y-day and got a nice load. Just got it off the truck and hauled a load down for a fellow that has had some health issues.
I climbed it. I usually use spikes on trees like this but used my climber stand on this one. it was a perfect candidate for it, and I have more movement on the stand. Yes I still use a safety harness, but didn't feel like wearing the spikes on it. Yes, I am a redneck....lol....no I do not recommend you try that at home......and BTW that was very nice of you helping that needy person out. That's what life is all about.

Backwoods said:
Thats a good day. Glad you got it done safely with that wind. Keep peckin away at it.
Thanks Backwoods, I saw you had some excersize today as well....like I said, any wood is good wood. Glad these guys talked me into using some pine
B/C I have lots of it to cut this spring, I'm gonna try using some pine for the shoulder season next year..

Once I send out for my cutting permit, I'll be getting some pine for next year as well. I'm going out on the quad next weekend and plan on bringing the saw.

sounds good. Keep those pics coming, I loved those pics you took of your hike a couple weeks ago. I'm a mountain man, ya know...lol.....

Man... how do you cut the top off (or buck it while in the air) and not have the pieces come back at you?

babzog said:
Man... how do you cut the top off (or buck it while in the air) and not have the pieces come back at you?
very carefully :bug: there is a couple of ways to do it, someday when I get a helmet cam I'll film it. Or maybe the next tree I do that way I'll have someone on the ground film it. I usually only buck one on the way down when clearances are an issue. At this job we had a fence around 8' away, and a poolhouse around 5' away, and a busy road around 25' away. So we had to piece it down. The wind made it interesting! :ahhh:

Got the whole tree busted up into 2" splits yesterday afternoon right before dark, probably ended up with close to a 1/3 cord. I know one thing I don't like about that pine....THE SAP......lol.....

Attachments

• Gomesspruce.jpg
    Gomesspruce.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 460
Good job falling in a crowded area.

Know the sticky feeling well :lol:
Sticky gloves, then on the saw handle. On you clothes.
Not as bad when it dries but I know it's hard to wash off with soap & water
WD40 ;)

Good wood; dries fast, burns hot & light weight to handle when dry

:roll:
bogydave said:
Good job falling in a crowded area.

Know the sticky feeling well :lol:
Sticky gloves, then on the saw handle. On you clothes.
Not as bad when it dries but I know it's hard to wash off with soap & water
WD40 ;)

Good wood; dries fast, burns hot & light weight to handle when dry
thanks BD. Yes it makes a mess of everything. When we got home from the job my wife met me at the door and went to kiss me and said I smelled like pine sap, it was everywhere! :roll: All over the splitter, all over the saws, clothes, etc. I made these splits extra small as I hope to use them in the maple syrup cooker next month. They will work, even it they are a little green...

Scott, that is a nasty way to have to take a tree down. Glad it all went well for you.

Backwoods Savage said:
Scott, that is a nasty way to have to take a tree down. Glad it all went well for you.
Yes it was, but it was the only way this one could go......plus the guy is a good friend of mine, and the prices he got from others to get it out of there were outrageous. Either way, we've done those bad ones before, we just take our time, piece it down carefully and kiss the ground when we get out of that tree! :cheese:

I would've enjoyed watching you bring down that giant. I would climb any higher than I could safely jump! Nice work.

aroth said:
I would've enjoyed watching you bring down that giant. I would climb any higher than I could safely jump! Nice work.
Thanks Aroth.....but that's not a giant. I'll post a pic later this evening of a giant that I did last year. I don't have the pics on my phone anymore.

good job.

I want to see pics of the next one.

mecreature said:
good job.

I want to see pics of the next one.
we haven't taken many pics of the tree jobs.we do cause I never thought there'd be any interest in them. I will start taking more pics of our jobs, we got a lot of 'em coming up soon...

aroth said:
aroth, here's one of the bigger 'close clearance' trees we did last year. The base was around 48" and it was around 60 foot, but we had a garage, a house, a pool, and power/cable lines to deal with. Look closely you can see me in the tree....... This was challenging.......

Attachments

• 95facebook9560751764195.jpg
    95facebook9560751764195.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 143
Status
Not open for further replies.