60 in michigan today, back to the junk wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
what is it with this weather?

I love it. More wood for next year. I'll be taking down my christmas lights wearing a sweat shirt and jeans.

Last night the forecast was for 42, this morning it had changed to 49. House was 66 when I got up, and started a fire, but won't reload until bedtime more than likely.
We HAD a couple inches of snow on the ground......most of it's gone now.
I loaded 1/2 cord to the front porch on 1-1-12, and have only used about 1/3 of that. This could very well be a good winter for the wood supply.
Having said that, we'll probably get sub 0's for a month and the wood will disappear faster than I can count it. It's not over just yet, but it sure is strange.

Hanko said:

Send it this way, only 16 with a small wind.

zap

Very strange indeed.. I was home from work the entire holiday week and burned 11 days straight (usually an eve/weekend burner). Some days I let the stove go out completely till after dinner and used not even a third of a face cord. Burnt a couple overnight loads this week on cold nights and was set to fire it up for hte weekend but now its pushing 50 again.

Just got the gas bill and that was ridiculously low too. For the entire month of December I used 80 therms of gas and maybe 1/2 face cord wood for heat and hot water. thats les than half of the usage for the same month last year.

At this rate I may get through the entire winter on less than 1.5 cord. I'll be 2 years ahead by spring without even trying.

Hanko said:

I hate it. I wanna ice fish! However, it is awesome weather to be training the bird dogs!

Hanko said:

60! Holy smokes. I'd have got on my bicycle with that temperature. As it was I loaded up on pain medicine and cut wood today. Dang, it really seemed nice to be out cutting and not hurting like crazy. Pete even brought me a load of those big pallets today. All in all, it was a great day to be outdoors.

I worked until about 11:30 this morning, then planned to get out and work on the pine in the side yard. Bev asked if I wanted to go to Gaylord, so off we went about 2:00 and just got home about an hour ago.
So much for cutting wood on a nice day. :red: Maybe this weekend.

Back to the junk wood? Dang, I have not even gotten to the good wood yet!
I've been burning up all my pine, punky stuff, uglies, etc.
Whatever it takes to keep the house warm enough and the gas meter from turning.
December gas bill was actually less than our November gas bill!
Something like $38. When the bill is that low I pay it quick and move on with my day.
Kinda glad to actually be clearing out some of this pine.
Supposed to be kinda nice for another week or so, no rain or snow and above freezing each day.
I'll take it.

i want it cold. nothing better than workin outside at 10 degrees.

Got to +10 last night & snowed 5".
Plowed/shoveled snow today at 0°, all bundled up. Getting colder now :-S
Trade ya :)

Attachments

• 100_7087.jpg
    100_7087.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 161
Seems like we get a thaw about now most years, but we really haven't had much of a freeze to start with.
The mud can refreeze anytime now. Anytime. Very much dislike the mud.
Just started the overnight fire, and off to bed soon. 34 tomorrow and maybe some snow, but back to almost 40 on Monday! Where did the sorta'/kinda' winter go?
This IS January, right?
I shouldn't complain too much, since the wood is going away at a slower clip than usual. This is good.

We saw 60 degres here today. Felt like spring. Still 50 as I type at 8:30pm....

Status
Not open for further replies.