60" of snow on the ground

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark cline

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2012
Cattaraugus, NY
It has been snowing since Monday midnight , 60" of snow on the ground , but my Hearthstone Mansfield has been keeping us warm and happy. Travel ban in effect , so no getting out on the roads . Its been 2 days and I finally took a chance to get to my parents and try to clean out the driveway.The snow was so deep that the snowblower couldn't throw it over the bank . 6 hrs later and I finally got it wide enough for my truck., had dinner there , then it took 2 hrs to get home , only 4 miles , white outs, semi trucks just sitting in the road where they got stuck, cars abandoned . No snow plows have been around , only an occasional high lift , that would push the snow to the side for 1 lane for emergency vehicles if needed.
Finally get home and the house is at 70F , toss in a few splits ,adjust the air , I laid down on the floor in front of the stove and fell asleep for a couple hrs. Woke up with the dog whining that I'm in his spot.

You're a good son. Stay safe out there! Glad you're keeping warm with the Manny.

Glad ya got back safe. Lots of thoughts about you folks today.

It's times like those that the wood stove and dry wood are worth their weight in gold. The peace of mind knowing that you're going to be warm and the pipes won't freeze is priceless..

Even New Yorkers don't deserve the pounding you folks have gotten.;)
Good job on taking care of the parental units, but keep yourself safe. It won't do them any good if you get yourself into a pinch.

Up here in the northtowns thinking about you all. Keep safe, get the snow off snow off the roof and hang in there. Wish we could be down there helping out!

Up here in the northtowns thinking about you all. Keep safe, get the snow off snow off the roof and hang in there. Wish we could be down there helping out!
Got things under control here , but more towards the city , many have not seen a plow yet. Abandoned cars and trucks still litter the streets in the hardest hit areas . Last night, the official snow fall amount for Orchard Park on the northeast side is 71", here I I measured only 60". Only 60",yeah I would have been happy with 40" LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.