$600 a cord? Some rediculous prices on CL...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I lived in MN my boyfriend and I sold seasoned (2 yr), split, delivered oak for $120/cd, 5 years ago. When I lived in Philly, 2 years ago, I'd giggle with excitement when I'd see ads on craigslist for free oak/maple split sitting at the end of a driveway. I'd drive my little ranger over and they'd thank me for taking it away...we had quite a stockpile behind our city lot house and since we didn't have a woodstove we burned oak/maple in a firepit! Now, in Maine, I'm getting a good deal if I find it GREEN for under $250. It's amazing how much prices differ by location for the same amount of work and relatively the same expenses.

So true ! Popeyed05 Hay and welcome to the forum :cool:

Let's see. I am 800 miles away from Seattle. My truck gets 15 miles per gallon, I'll need 54 gallons of gas at $212.00. My truck can tow 2 , 2-1/2 cords worth of oak weight. I get the wood for free. 20 hour drive round trip, plus the few hours I already have in it collecting and splitting, another few hours stacking at the end point. $1500 profit minus expenses- coffee, a few meals, maybe a motel. that would be good few days work, in my dreams.

When I lived in MN my boyfriend and I sold seasoned (2 yr), split, delivered oak for $120/cd, 5 years ago. When I lived in Philly, 2 years ago, I'd giggle with excitement when I'd see ads on craigslist for free oak/maple split sitting at the end of a driveway. I'd drive my little ranger over and they'd thank me for taking it away...we had quite a stockpile behind our city lot house and since we didn't have a woodstove we burned oak/maple in a firepit! Now, in Maine, I'm getting a good deal if I find it GREEN for under $250. It's amazing how much prices differ by location for the same amount of work and relatively the same expenses.

Agree with your post . . . but $250 a cord for unseasoned firewood seems a bit steep . . . although perhaps it is more expensive where you are . . . Maine is a fairly large state and things can be quite different on the coast, islands or down south vs. inland, in the County, downeast, etc.

Agree with your post . . . but $250 a cord for unseasoned firewood seems a bit steep . . . although perhaps it is more expensive where you are . . . Maine is a fairly large state and things can be quite different on the coast, islands or down south vs. inland, in the County, downeast, etc.

I am near the coast. This is my first year needing to buy wood here - and I did manage to find a guy selling for $225/cd semi-seasoned. It's a one time thing and a limited amount as he had cleared some of his own land. All of the craigslist firewood listings near me are 250-300. I'd be glad to hear of a better source if you know of one, but I'm a couple hours from Bangor.

I am near the coast. This is my first year needing to buy wood here - and I did manage to find a guy selling for $225/cd semi-seasoned. It's a one time thing and a limited amount as he had cleared some of his own land. All of the craigslist firewood listings near me are 250-300. I'd be glad to hear of a better source if you know of one, but I'm a couple hours from Bangor.

No real sources, but I see a lot of flyers in the local general stores . . . you can also ask the local woodstove shop.

No real sources, but I see a lot of flyers in the local general stores . . . you can also ask the local woodstove shop.
Keep an eye on Craigslist free section. I found cut, split, and seasoned wood, just had to go pick it up. I scored like this just once, but I have seen several similar posts. People have to move, sold the house, just don't want it,etc. I have a creek that runs through the middle of town. I have pulled dead logs out of there that are 10% MC.

Keep an eye on Craigslist free section. I found cut, split, and seasoned wood, just had to go pick it up. I scored like this just once, but I have seen several similar posts. People have to move, sold the house, just don't want it,etc. I have a creek that runs through the middle of town. I have pulled dead logs out of there that are 10% MC.

That may work . . . but honestly right now up here with so many folks that burn wood it may be pretty tough to get free wood. I very rarely see free listings for firewood during the year . . . much less right now when many folks are so "diligently" working on building their wood supply for this coming winter.

That may work . . . but honestly right now up here with so many folks that burn wood it may be pretty tough to get free wood. I very rarely see free listings for firewood during the year . . . much less right now when many folks are so "diligently" working on building their wood supply for this coming winter.
Yea, we can get by here without any heat. Sweaters blankets and temps 30s-40s are mild comparatively. Maybe that is s why my oak seasons in a year, it never freezes for months at time.

CA has mostly NG heating, its a lot warmer and there is a lot of good high heat firewood there for the taking (at least in my experience) if you know where it is and how to hunt for it. Also in places like the SF bay area there are bans on new building or remodeling with fireplaces/wood stoves. I used to get firewood from my boss when I lived in Los Gatos. He was in Boulder Creek in the Santa Cruz Mountains, and I could get all the madrone that I wanted. His wife did not like the trees after one of them fell on their house in a storm. I had a fireplace that was pre-ban and grandfathered there. I also used to get wood from the Gilroy area when they were turning orchards into condos and housing developments. And I got a lot of eucalyptus from Big Sur from a guy I knew that wanted to get rid of it all. That was all before Criagslist was invented. Firewood there generally sell for a high price, about $300 a cord. Though I see that Dean is giving away 'Tree of Heaven' on CL for free in Sunnyvale... oh are those people in for a big disappointment burning that stuff.

I don't think it is gouging or being bad to ask too much money for your wood. It is bad to lie or misrepresent your product. The apple wood is priced way too high for me since I don't value apple wood as highly as he apparently does so we won't be doing business.

Nothing wrong with the guy that wants 1000$ per cord for cottonwood, his only problem is that he won't sell much.

I've sold plenty of wood at 200-250 per cord. I wanted it sold fast so I priced competitively.

Status
Not open for further replies.