$600 Blaze King

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That cleaned up real nice.

Also, I ordered the parts for my stove over a week before you picked up your stove. Still waiting on my parts... Fourth try, third vendor.

Very nice job on the restore! Great catch on the lack of weld! You will love definitely get your money's worth from that stove, Congrats!

The stove was actually brown, under the crappy black paint. I would have painted it brown again, but it wasn't my choice. The metallic black looks great, and Stove Bright does a very nice job. It looks a lot better than my stove.

I think we're up to just over $1k, plus about ten hours of my time. Not bad for a $3000 stove.

Hey, thanks all. Thanks again for sharing the deal Papa Dave, and thanks BK for giving up the side shields.

My nephews are coming tomorrow so we can load it up and get it over there. Then we'll do some looking and thinking and measuring, so we can get it burning before winter.

Wow! Your sister is going to be very happy! It looks brand new, great job!

Looks like you painted it, what brand of paint did you use? Looks like a real nice finish.

Looks like you painted it, what brand of paint did you use? Looks like a real nice finish.

http://forrestpaint.com/index.php?page=high-temp-aerosol-paint
It is metallic black 6309. The stuff works great. I wire brushed the whole thing, and I had the stove down to bare shiny metal in spots where it was really rusty. It filled in all the swirls from the sanding disc, and any other minor scratches and such. The first coat took a whole can. I put four coats on the top and front, three on everything else.

It came out so nice, I might paint mine next summer. It has some surface rust from the five years it spent in the showroom, and I wouldn't mind seeing it a different color, maybe brown.

Certainly not pristine, but not bad either. Needs some gaskets and a cat, as I expected. A paint job as well. The original owner painted over rust with what lools like bbq paint.

View attachment 73311

Nice Stove!

I had a stove where the owner painted over the bubbling rust with enamel paint. Looked like yours too. Luckily it was just the lower half. Anyway, I got out the wire wheel for the drill to burn the rust off. Then I sanded it with emery cloth from Home Depot. Then with a rag and Acetone from Home Depot, I cleaned it up real nice and used Satin Black Stove Bright Paint and it looks brand new! I also used ultra high temp flat black VHT Flame Proof car header paint from the auto parts store for the fire box walls!

I wish I had some more 'before' pics. Sad what some people can do to a good stove.

Yikes! Not sure how I missed this one, but I found it today when I was stripping paint. It's almost the entire length of the bottom of the door. Bad weld from the factory, absolutely no penetration into the door frame. Bet there weren't any 40 hour burns in this stove.View attachment 74051

Think of the poor guy who paid $4000 for this stove. He probably never figured out why it wouldn't perform as prescribed. Shame on BK for letting such a major defect ship to a customer.
Looks great now, though!

So wire wheel to get off the big stuff and bubbles, then an RO disc sander? 80 grit or 200 grit? Then clean, then paint? I just started wire eheeling the fisher and the surface is uneven between the removed rust and the good paint. Did you block sand between coats?

So wire wheel to get off the big stuff and bubbles, then an RO disc sander? 80 grit or 200 grit? Then clean, then paint? I just started wire eheeling the fisher and the surface is uneven between the removed rust and the good paint. Did you block sand between coats?
I don't have an RO. I just used fiber discs on my angle grinder, 80 grit. I stripped the whole thing with a wire brush, and sanded the bad spots. You can do what you want for your shop stove, but it didn't take that long to strip that big beotch. Don't bother sanding between coats, you aren't painting a car. By the time you get the first coat done, it's dry enough to go back where you started for another coat. The paint I used covered up any scratches, but you can still see where the welds are on the inside of the stove.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1350665649748.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1350665649748.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 198
WOW block sand, like he said its not a car, your going to clear or anything. I would just strip rust to bare metal, and if the pitting or height differences bother you feather you edges then paint. If you get a paint buildup you will cover the minor scratches and you can even paint certain spots to build the paint up thicker if u like but if its a hard edge both heights will build up. I would not go to all that trouble personally cause sooner or later your gonna have to do it again.

Wow! That came out great Jeff, after all the repairs and new parts that baby should run like new with long burn times, all that for your sister, what a good bro you are!

Jeff's just looks so good I want my attempt to be as good as possible. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right but I don't know what right is.

I think Jeffs should find each of us a $600 King and redo the stove so we each can see his craftsmanship first hand. It's the only way we will all be able to appreciate his had work and skills.

Reactions: raybonz
I have never done anything like this before. It may look good now, but who knows what it will look like next year. If you start with a decent surface, it will come out fine. Stove Bright is the OEM finish on A LOT of stoves.

Get Papa Dave to keep finding them. I'll fix 'em ;)

Reactions: BrowningBAR
Status
Not open for further replies.