600 sq ft need suggestions!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am needing to heat a 600 sq ft area ( 2 rooms and a bathroom)~ most of the time it needs only to be at about 50° but sometimes at 60~70°. It needs to not rely on electricity because of the many winter power outages in Maine.
I am considering an Empire vented wall heater, but would love a gas stove with window. What is the efficiency difference between the two, and can anyone suggest particular models?

The Empire wall heater will have the better efficiency,
but for 600 sf, Jotul in Portland, Me, has a couple of very nice looking gas stoves.
It depends on your insulation, but I'd say the GF400DV Sebago might fit your needs...
http://www.jotul.com/en-us/wwwjotulus/Main-menu/Products/Gas/Gas-stoves/Jotul-GF-400-DV-Sebago/
It's 32K input & at 73% efficiency, it'll output 23360BTU & with average insulation it'll
heat about 580sf...
If you have GOOD (R21 walls & R38 ceilings) insulation you can go down to the GF300DV Allagash.
If you have POOR (R13 walls R19 ceilings) insulation, you may need the GF600DV Firelight...
There are other brands out there, but the Jotul gas stoves are made in your state...
Your call...

Thank you for that info and suggestions. As far as an Empire goes are they considered a "good" reliable heater? ( they look so "old school") And is 73 efficiency is considered good? I have a wood stove hook up in one of the rooms so I have various options to consider . Like use the empire as the base heater and leave the wood stove in for extra warmth and ambiance. Or put a nice jotul gas where the wood stove is and depend just on that. I'm trying to figure out "where" to put my money and also consider best greener options. I have a jotul c in the main house and love it. Are there any ways to for see what gas costs would be taking into account all the equations involved.
Again thank you!

cadia said:
Thank you for that info and suggestions. As far as an Empire goes are they considered a "good" reliable heater? ( they look so "old school") And is 73 efficiency is considered good?

Someone else will hafta chime in here. We don't sell the Empire units, so I'm really unfamiliar with them
73% isn't great, but it's not bad for a gas stove with a realistic wood burning look

I have a wood stove hook up in one of the rooms so I have various options to consider . Like use the empire as the base heater and leave the wood stove in for extra warmth and ambiance. Or put a nice jotul gas where the wood stove is and depend just on that. I'm trying to figure out "where" to put my money and also consider best greener options. I have a jotul c in the main house and love it. Are there any ways to for see what gas costs would be taking into account all the equations involved.
Again thank you!

Do you have NG or LP? there is a BIG difference in cost, at least here in NY. NG is 1/3 the cost of LP, but that could change tomorrow. The Sebago will burn one gallon of LP or one Therm of NG in about 3 hours - ON HIGH & in constant operation.
Turning the gas regulator down or using a thermostat can increase the length of time it takes to burn fuel, but the bottom line comes back to insulation. The idea is not ONLY to heat the inside of your home, but to KEEP the heat in there...

whew 50 degrees! I hope that's not with people living there ;)

That little Hearthstone is a great space heater. Looks great and doesnt take up much room. You got yourself a good stove there Kobudo

check out the fpx 21dv (also called the "bed and breakfast") for a built in look that requires very little space and can be built in, or the Northfield by Lopi for a cute 3 sided glass cast iron stove... it provides quite alot of soft radiant heat from all the glass area, and both do not need to be run on a standing pilot, which the Empire will require... this will have you a gallon of LP every 4 or 5 days over the heating season.

Status
Not open for further replies.