69 degrees and i have a fire...video inside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
new enviro 1700 insert...still waiting on oversize surround to finish this install.....burn in fire number one...man main thing i have noticed...its alot harder to get a fire started in this new stove....had to have the door cracked for a good 10 minutes or so.....but once going..i now have a nice controllable fire...something i didnt have with my old dragon....heres a video of the first fire..this fire was strictly to burn the paint so the smell wont be unbearable later...and really the smell isnt bad at all

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/ste...D8-9356-00001206D4A59A0D_zps25175b58.mp4.html

Reactions: dylskee
Getting a fire going will be easier when the weather cools off more. You'll really notice the difference once the temperature gets down to freezing. But I can understand your want to get at least one of the burn-in fires done.

Reactions: eclecticcottage
You are gonna smell paint for a while, kinda like a initiation into wood burner!

The smell of paint curing on a new stove is like the factory fresh smell of a brand new car driven off the lot.
You only do it a few times in your life, so enjoy!

Reactions: Michael Golden
To each their own...........Heh !

My insert did not smell at all while breaking it in...

Enameled stoves (and inserts) usually don't give off a lot of fumes during break-in as compared to painted stoves. It is the paint breaking in and offgassing that creates the fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.