1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

6L Ford diesel yeah or nay?

Post in 'The Gear' started by SolarAndWood, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    My friend has a 12v swapped into a F350. It is the best of both worlds.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Reggie Dunlap

Reggie Dunlap Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern Vermont
    Good summary by Highbeam.

The Duramax was developed in a joint venture with Isuzu, but I think it's made by GM now. The early Duramax's (2001-2002) had some injector problems, so be aware of that. Most have been replaced under warranty by now, but it's an expensive job that you want no part of.

Another thing to consider in an older diesel truck purchase is the transmission. If you are buying an automatic, Dodge, and to a lesser extent Ford, have had some problems with their transmission handling the power of the diesel engine. The Allison in the post 2001 Duramaxs has been a very good transmission with few problems. If you looking for a manual they're all good, but I don't think GM even offers it anymore.
  3. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Too bad Caterpillar never got into the pickup diesel business. I've spent a lot of time driving everybody's engines, and was always happiest with a 3406.

Did the VT365 have all the same problems as the Ford 6.0 version, or were these Ford specific problems? Seems like a lot of the issues were egr related, so I guess emissions systems were probably different on the medium duty version in International trucks?
  4. Gomez

Gomez Member

Loc:
    Pineville, PA
    I have a 2005 S/C- 55,000 mi- I've heard the stories but I'm happy with it, only problem was rodent damage to a wiring harness.
  5. mhrischuk

mhrischuk Guest

Sick Leaker is the correct spelling LOL

I like the truck but the motor removes it from consideration.
  6. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    How about a Cummins Dodge truck? I have a 91 diesel and I just don't know why people complain about the body on the Dodges. My 12valve's body is in perfect condition and the sheetmetal is THICK. You can find 2wd 89-93 D250 trucks for around 5-6K in real nice condition.
  7. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I know lots of people with 89-93 Dodge/Cummins trucks. Every single one of them has body issues - leaking cabs, loose/drooping doors, sh_tty paint, cancer, etc. The engine and running gear are top of the line which is the only reason they weren't replaced years ago.
  8. NoPaint

NoPaint Member

Loc:
    USA
    Oh well they are 20 year old trucks. I had my cab resealed, driver door replaced and rebushed, cab painted, and there was no rust or rot anywhere on the truck so I was immune to that. At the end of the day I have less into my Cummins 3/4 ton than I would had I bought a newer F150 or comperable 1/2 ton but instead I have a nice heavy duty 3/4 ton with a Cummins. I would suggest anyone looking for a good truck to consider spending more on an 89-93 than less on a newer truck (if they can have a little work done here and there if it hasn't been painted and restored).
  9. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Go newer than that. The later Dodges had intercoolers and then all the way up to 2007 on Dodge used that wonderful 5.9.
  10. woodmiser

woodmiser New Member

Loc:
    Garnet Valley, PA
    Many people do not know the Cummins is a straight six inline engine.

The high pressure common rail Cummins came out in 2003. Probably the best Dodge Cummins year is 2004.5 and 2005. I have a 2004.

Once the high pressure common rail and heavy electronics came out, all three brands were able to be modified pretty easily with programmers and plug in boxes. You could expect up to 100 hp gains with just a box. Show me that with a gasser!

My 04 was the last year they built the 5.9 without requiring a CAT and EGR so I didn't have to remove anything. Stock my truck was 305hp 555tq
    I added bigger injectors (F1), bigger turbo (HighTech), head studs(ARP) , built trans (Goerend), BD performance flex plate.
    I run a Smarty Programmer and a TST PowerMaxCR
    Dynos 540hp 1036tq
    Not too shabby for a little old six cylinder.

Dodge has really done a great job with the rest of the truck bringing it up to the competition. But neither Dodge nor GM has competed properly with the SuperDuty. That is simply a bigger truck that stands on it's own. Too bad they can't get their act together with the diesel.

I really do like the Cummins though... good old straight six industrial diesel.

I've owned the following diesels..
    1993 Chevy 6.5TD
    1997 Chevy 6.5TD
    2001 GMC Duramax
    2004 Dodge Cummins

Highbeam you might know me as hoot.
  11. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    Sure, they are now, but they were falling apart 10 years ago. Also, the Fords of that era are in far better condition. Just sayin'
  12. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

A truck without an engine is a driveway ornament, Bullet-proof chassis or not. Or at best a 50K money-pit.....
  13. gapman789

gapman789 New Member

Loc:
    Ohio
    My work has (2) '06 F450's crewcabs with the 6.0, and the owners each have '06 F350 Superduty crewcabs, fully loaded, 4x4.
    We also have (2) '00 Dodge dually flatbeds with the Cummins straight six.

The Fords have been nothing but trouble. At least one of the Fords is broke down at all times. Injectors, fuel tank linings, power steering, flywheel, and then some.
    They all are in the 60-100k mile range.

With 170K miles on them, the Dodges on the other hand haven't had a single mechanical problem to date. Maybe a battery or alternator and that's it. The Dodges were bought new just as the Fords were.
    We were talking about this yesterday actually; about switching truck brands all together.
  14. woodmiser

woodmiser New Member

Loc:
    Garnet Valley, PA
    They circled the problem LOL
    [​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.