6x10 chimney -vs- 6" round liner -vs- 8" woodstove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

Sep 27, 2011
Petersburg Virginia
Well, here's the deal:

I have a chimney whos inner dimensions measure 6" x 10" (actually it looks like its just under 10")
Measures from top of chimney to bottom of chimney - almost 15'
There is a 6" round insulated liner crammed in there.

I have a Buck 91 that I picked up used, it has a 8" flue

I bought a 6-8" adapter for the 6" liner to 8" Buck. And a 45 degree adapter because the liner comes in at an angle from the back of the fireplace.

Its going to be a fight to get this liner hooked to the stove because I only have a few inches of room at the very front of the fireplace to get my hands in there and work. Will take at least two of us. I'll have to get on the roof and pull the liner up while wife and son work on pushing the stove in place and hooking up the liner.

Now I know the 6" liner isnt ideal for the 8" buck. I was considering replacing it with a rectangular liner that is more the actual 6"x10" chimney.....thinking it would be better as in more AREA.

I checked to see what the AREA of a 8" circle is and its 201" ....... did I figure this correctly? 3.14159 x 8" x 8" = 201"

so a 6" round liner AREA is .... 3.14159 x 6' x 6' = 113"

and.... AREA of a 6" x 10" chimney is.. 6x10= 60"

so, if the area of the 6" round liner is 113" how does it fit into a chimney with an area of only 60" ???

anyway, are there any mathematicians on here that can explain this.......thanks!!

Your formula is a little off.
A=πr2

Area of a 6" circle is ~28 sq in, 50ish for an 8" circle.

Well that buck is not going to run well at all on that seriously undersized liner you are going to be fighting it all the time. If you want to use that stove you need a bigger liner or you need a smaller stove.

Your formula is a little off.
A=πr2

Area of a 6" circle is ~28 sq in, 50ish for an 8" circle.

thats right..for radius measure from the center of the circle to the edge?? That right? I was measuring all the way across.
So an 8" liner would be 3.14159x4x4 = 50.27
6" is 3.14159x3x3= 28.27
and a 6x10 rectangular is 60"
even is I went a little smaller like a 5.5 x 9.5= 54.45

So it sounds like a good idea to reline with the rectangular liner.

Well, here's the deal:

I have a chimney whos inner dimensions measure 6" x 10" (actually it looks like its just under 10")
Measures from top of chimney to bottom of chimney - almost 15'
There is a 6" round insulated liner crammed in there.

I have a Buck 91 that I picked up used, it has a 8" flue

I bought a 6-8" adapter for the 6" liner to 8" Buck. And a 45 degree adapter because the liner comes in at an angle from the back of the fireplace.

Its going to be a fight to get this liner hooked to the stove because I only have a few inches of room at the very front of the fireplace to get my hands in there and work. Will take at least two of us. I'll have to get on the roof and pull the liner up while wife and son work on pushing the stove in place and hooking up the liner.

Now I know the 6" liner isnt ideal for the 8" buck. I was considering replacing it with a rectangular liner that is more the actual 6"x10" chimney.....thinking it would be better as in more AREA.

I checked to see what the AREA of a 8" circle is and its 201" ....... did I figure this correctly? 3.14159 x 8" x 8" = 201"

so a 6" round liner AREA is .... 3.14159 x 6' x 6' = 113"

and.... AREA of a 6" x 10" chimney is.. 6x10= 60"

so, if the area of the 6" round liner is 113" how does it fit into a chimney with an area of only 60" ???

anyway, are there any mathematicians on here that can explain this.......thanks!!

Its 3.14159 x the radius not the diameter.

3.14159 x 3 x 3 = 28.27 SQ inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.