7" stove pipe won't fit 7" terra cotta thimble.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xraydog

Aug 16, 2009
Northcentral PA
I recently replace my Avalon Rainer with a Woodstock Fireview. Both have 6" flue pipes.

When I removed the old stove I realized the 6" pipe was placed into a 7" terra cotta thimble (masonary chimney) so there was air space around this pipe. I never realized this as it was hidden by the flue collar

I got a 6' to 7" adapter for the new pipe, however, the inside diameter of the terra cotta thimble is actually about 6 7/8" so the crimped end of the adapter will not fit.

Any thoughts on modifiying the crimped end of the 6-7'' adapter (Heat fab 22ga)? Should I leave the 6" pipe and pack around it with fiberglass?

Rick D

Try cutting some slits on the crimped side of the adapter, about 4 equally around and squish it down to reduce the diameter and push it into the thimble. Or you could also for go the adapter and use rock wool insulation or a thick door gasket around the 6" pipe.

i would try crimping the crimped end again . alot of material these days are not crimped worth a dam. find some hand crimpers and my guess is you will make it fit just fine

If you use an adapter you will not have a dripless connection unless you went too the outside of your clay tile thimble.We always use a stainless steel single wall inside of the clay thimble mortar in place crimp end sticking out of thimble. this way you can always secure the last section of pipe at the thimble and it is dripless.

Status
Not open for further replies.