70 degrees here for the next two day.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Might have a fire tonight. Depends on how quickly everything cools down at night. Probably won't have one tomorrow at all since it usually takes the stone walls 24-48 hours to switch over from one temp to the other.

Definitely using less wood this shoulder season. Can't tell if it is the outside temps or the new setup for the stoves.

Same thing here. Ran the heaters yesterday and last night. Looks like maybe night burns for a week.

Love the new sig line Browningbar....that's the best..... :lol: :lol: ;-)
Gorgeous day here in NEPA....don't even think we will need a fire tonite. Part of me wishes it would get cold and stay cold....I know...I am crazy..
I just hate shoulder season, especially learning a new stove.

I figured you meant in the house!

I went out this morning to shovel the drive and came back in quickly. Took a look at the thermometer and it was -3*. It's about right for this time of year, but it came fast. We already have 8-10" of snow on the ground too.

Nate, we like you so much we are hoping that weather stays with you to keep you company.

NATE379 said:
I figured you meant in the house!

I went out this morning to shovel the drive and came back in quickly. Took a look at the thermometer and it was -3*. It's about right for this time of year, but it came fast. We already have 8-10" of snow on the ground too.

We had a shocker of 20 plus inches, But luckily this warm weather has made it all go somewhere.

Not many days I can remember in November where the stove was totally cold!

It's been a strange "shoulder season" for sure. Between the power outages and temps last week, I was running 24x7 burns. This week it's too warm to fire the stove but still too cold for the propane furnace 'o doom to not kick in, at least in the morning.

Upside, though, I can still ride me motorcycle!

Sure has been a strange fall. Been having some shoulder fires all along during the AM and PM. Then a blast of winter last weekend and now we're in the mid 60s and warmer nights so no fire needed. Looks this way for a while according the weather man.

Doesn't bother me none. If it did I would move to Florida or Mexico.

Backwoods Savage said:
Nate, we like you so much we are hoping that weather stays with you to keep you company.

GAMMA RAY said:
Gorgeous day here in NEPA....don't even think we will need a fire tonite. Part of me wishes it would get cold and stay cold....I know...I am crazy..
I just hate shoulder season, especially learning a new stove.

Thanks. Pen's sig gave me the idea.

I'd rather have a mild, and long, shoulder season than jump ass deep into winter. Give me shoulder season over 10 degree nights! :)

BrotherBart said:
Same thing here. Ran the heaters yesterday and last night. Looks like maybe night burns for a week.

I just threw on a hoody. It's pretty comfortable here right now. Mornings are a little nippy, though.

I do need to pick up a room heater or two for next season. My neighbor with the Fireview has a nice small heater that does a great job during the shoulder season.

Backwoods Savage said:

It's mighty nice of the good folk of Alaska to keep the cold to themselves!

BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

I just threw on a hoody. It's pretty comfortable here right now. Mornings are a little nippy, though.

I do need to pick up a room heater or two for next season. My neighbor with the Fireview has a nice small heater that does a great job during the shoulder season.

Yeah. First year I have used them. Couple of bucks worth of electric and no overheating or hassle. They had just been around for backup before.

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
BrotherBart said:

Yeah. First year I have used them. Couple of bucks worth of electric and no overheating or hassle. They had just been around for backup before.

Yep. I couldn't wrap my mind around using a space heater the previous three years while sorting out how much heat I needed. Now I can see a use for them, which is nice.

GAMMA RAY said:

+1!

Unusually warm Fall here as well . . . but I am sure it's just a matter of time before the weather changes to be more normal . . .

Mine has been shut down for two days now. It went 24/7 the previous 10 days.

Now if I could only get my yard cleaned up after that storm.

KC

No fire last night. Might have one tonight. It depends how quickly things cool down. Tonight is suppose to be a low of 50, which is warm, but they said the same thing last night and it went down to 38.

We just missed some snow this morning but there's a cold North wind blowing and I have one stove burning 24/7 for the next couple days. Definitely saving some firewood compared to last year but that could all change soon.

Todd said:
We just missed some snow this morning but there's a cold North wind blowing and I have one stove burning 24/7 for the next couple days. Definitely saving some firewood compared to last year but that could all change soon.

Gotta love you guys that have more than one stove in the house.....I think that is awesome... I bet your homes are very comfy and warm... :)
Sit by one stove for a bit and watch it, then go to the other room and sit by the other stove...and watch it...who needs cable tv with 1 stove let alone 2?

I am thinkin of starting a fire tonite. It is supposed to rain tonite and the temps are dropping. I am a bit "chilled". I guess I am just getting used to the warm temps in the house.

^^^ha! nice to see i'm not the only one who has named his stove.

firefighterjake said:
Unusually warm Fall here as well . . . but I am sure it's just a matter of time before the weather changes to be more normal . . .

i thought so. we've only lived here going on two months.
between that and being a new pellet stove owner, i think i am perhaps naively wanting winter to get here already.
ask me again in a few months i guess.

on another note-
i now know what a roof rake looks like. and am also an owner of said item.

GAMMA RAY said:
Todd said:

Gotta love you guys that have more than one stove in the house.....I think that is awesome... I bet your homes are very comfy and warm... :)
Sit by one stove for a bit and watch it, then go to the other room and sit by the other stove...and watch it...who needs cable tv with 1 stove let alone 2?

I am thinkin of starting a fire tonite. It is supposed to rain tonite and the temps are dropping. I am a bit "chilled". I guess I am just getting used to the warm temps in the house.

Comfy? Four years and four stoves later, yes... Finally. Let's just hope I don't turn into a human conveyor belt again when the temps drop real low and I'm loading stoves, to what seems like, every five minutes.

St_Earl said:

firefighterjake said:

between that and being a new pellet stove owner, i think i am perhaps naively wanting winter to get here already.

on another note-

No kidding . . . it seems as if more folks are moving out of that area than are moving in . . . which is too bad . . . I love it there . . . I usually get up that way two or three times come snowmobile season . . . and yeah . . . you're right . . . it will come soon enough and you'll have more than enough of the snow and cold.

Where did you live before if I might ask . . .

firefighterjake said:
St_Earl said:

firefighterjake said:

on another note-

No kidding . . . it seems as if more folks are moving out of that area than are moving in . . . which is too bad . . . I love it there . . . I usually get up that way two or three times come snowmobile season . . . and yeah . . . you're right . . . it will come soon enough and you'll have more than enough of the snow and cold.

Where did you live before if I might ask . . .

so without making a complete novel of it...
i'm from portland oregon nearly all my life 47 years in the state.

we moved out to new jersey to take care of my g/fs mom. and then we decided we'd settle in new england.
we didn't have a lot of time to pick a town. but we did a quick trip up through vermont and new hampshire.
we moved to littleton nh based on liking the diner there. lol
too touristy
when we started looking in maine for houses, we moved to winslow in a rental and about a month or so later found this place.
it's up high so it's bone dry. a good old house with solid dry wood and a good foundation.
we really got it at an amazing price too. it was part of an estate and the kids of the previous owner just wanted to get it sold and stop having to pay taxes and sewer and heat etc...
we just got a new metal roof. and in the spring we are going to get vinyl siding.
even with all that plus the pellet stove, generator, ash vac etc... and some few other things we need done, we will come in under or at about 40k.
we live pretty modestly. so with the value we got on the house and our nest egg, we are basically retired.
i will look at seasonal work while my g/f will eventually find something like front desk work somewhere close by.
if we had to have full time jobs we couldn't have moved here.
as it is i'm extremely happy with it here. it's quiet and we are on a loop road with a view of katahdin around the corner. we sit up high from all but one neighbor.
really the house is better than many that were twice the price in the area.
we just found the right situation. and a seller that was ready to just get it done.

i know there must be a few exceptions out there, but we have found mainers to be among the best, most friendly people we have ever met.

BrowningBAR said:
Might have a fire tonight. Depends on how quickly everything cools down at night. Probably won't have one tomorrow at all since it usually takes the stone walls 24-48 hours to switch over from one temp to the other.

Definitely using less wood this shoulder season. Can't tell if it is the outside temps or the new setup for the stoves.

Looks like we will be putting the Lopi Liberty back in action after a three day break, down to 30 tonight so we will load her up with some aspen.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.