700 and climbing?... Not if I can help it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy

Oct 8, 2008
Lakes Region, NH
I've been having some troubles timing my re-loads for the last 2 days, the wind is HOWLING with 40-50 mph gusts and it's 2 degrees as I type. My stove is in the basement so when we are not down there, I check on the stove when I get a beer out of the downstairs refrigerator. I decided to throw a load of wood on some not so burned down coals because my dinner was coming out of the oven...
After a fabulous frozen pizza (nasty) I came down the stairs to a stove top of 700 degrees and def. still plenty of fuel to keep the temp rising. Out comes the foil to stuff the primaries. Temp came down promptly and so did my heart rate. I like 650 but 700+ is not where I like to roam with the cast iron.

Adventures of a burner...
Rob

Yeah those big chunks of black dead looking coals will come to life with a vengeance when a fresh load of wood starts outgassing on top of them. It like a double load of wood.

Yeah we are haing those winds up in MA right now. I have a full load of fuel in the box, primary air at zero, blower on full, and I am at 650. Crazy. Temp is finally dropping now that I maxed out the blower.

Sounds like you need more frequent trips to the basement for beer to keep a closer eye on the stove! :) Seriously though, it sounds like you refueled a little too soon.

Shari

’bert said:
why do you keep your beer so far away???

Thats the first thing that had me concerned.

Now, I'm not advocating it, but....700+ won't really have much effect on cast iron. Not saying other parts are gonna like it, just saying that the cast wont really care.

’bert said:
The stove is in a corner of the finished basement - my favorite room of the house, so I actually do spend a considerable amount of time down there pondering my next move...unfortunately the bathroom and kitchen are upstairs. Can't have it all... ;-)

Rob

Let Me Stand Next To Your Fire said:
’bert said:
The stove is in a corner of the finished basement - my favorite room of the house, so I actually do spend a considerable amount of time down there pondering my next move...unfortunately the bathroom and kitchen are upstairs. Can't have it all... ;-)

Rob

Difficult considering your next move will probably involve the kitchen, bathroom or both in no particular order.

I used to burn a cast iron VC Encore back when Vermont Castings was Vermont Castings. I would run the griddle temps at 800 constantly. Not saying it was a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.