$700 for Hearthstone Starlet?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drstruggles

Dec 15, 2015
Western MA
Hi Folks: Thanks for creating such a great community. First time post, first time homeowner (1000 sq ft ranch, like many other posters!) not my first time using or working with wood as a heat source.

Near me here in the Berkshires is a Starlet on craigslist. I don't have much reference for the price considering this model is discontinued. Thoughts? http://westernmass.craigslist.org/for/5337751950.html

I'm looking for the right stove for a small living room kitchen area (600 sq ft), something that looks nice, provides supplemental heat to my fujitsu heat pumps, and doesn't cost more than 1k (not including install). I'm fine with having to find replacement parts... other posts I have read seem to suggest that you can still get some. I have searched for Starlet reviews on your site (no luck), and read a few posts by users named Bubela and Holiday, that seem to have a Starlet- one issue was difficult starting. I use seasoned wood, plenty of kindling/newspaper on a start, and would have a straight through-the-roof chimney for a good draft, so maybe not a big deal there?

Or maybe I should hold out for a woodstock stove? They seem a bit more expensive, and price is important because according to real estate folks, buying a stove doesn't add value to a home, and we wouldn't take it with us when we likely move to somewhere else in a few years. I'm sticking with granite/soapstone for looks, greater efficiency with wood, and the fact that my wife wouldn't have to remember to load as much when I'm not around.

Thanks again for this resource, so useful to new people like me.

I haven't read that much about the Starlet that impresses me. If you are looking at Woodstock take a gander at their Ideal Steel stove. It's more affordably priced, a clean burner and has a decent burn time.

Hey begreen, thanks for responding. I have actually been looking at the ideal steel that can have optional soapstone added. I've searched for it used without much luck, probably because it came out so recently... Seems like you're recommending I just go for something like that, new, in the $2k range. Quite the jump, but worth it? Cars lose half their value driven off the lot, and saving money has been easier for me than making it.

Glad to hear you have heard of the Starlet... too bad it's not much positive. But if they discontinued the model, that says to me that maybe there were basic design problems. It's like my dad and his honda accord wagon, great idea for people wanting a low-to-the-ground station wagon (he overloads it with wood!) but discontinued for its many flaws.

Ad seems to be gone now anyways . . . maybe it's a sign.

Another possible option incidentally . . . if you are willing to wait . . . is Woodstock often sells returned woodstoves for pretty good prices . . . not sure what time of year this occurs though -- maybe Spring or Summer?

Ad seems to be gone now anyways . . . maybe it's a sign.

Another possible option incidentally . . . if you are willing to wait . . . is Woodstock often sells returned woodstoves for pretty good prices . . . not sure what time of year this occurs though -- maybe Spring or Summer?

That's some good advice, thank you. I'll call woodstock to see about this. As far as the starlet, maybe the craigslist poster sold it, so maybe for someone, it was a good deal. Just not for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.