72F, sun, a good saw and wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmwloco

Jan 17, 2008
Asheville NC
Whew. Taking a break. I'll be pulling out the maw soon.

I've had oak and dogwood since this summer. A friend in the tree biz sold it to me for $40 delivered. 6'-7' foot logs. 18"-25" stove size chunks that need to be split.

I'm doing the math in my head as I do it, sweating. There's at least a month, maybe two, worth of oak, dogwood and locust to keep the VC Resolute in the house and the VC Intrepid, both circa 1984, both burning warmly.

Nice thoughts at 72F, sweating, baking in the sun now. What a great way to spend a rare day off.

Back to it...

Ill be cutting sunday high of 40 degrees

Managed to split and break up about enough through today's efforts to keep Chateau Loco warm for a month or so. Given I'll have a stove in the garage too, maybe less.

I'm happily sore, kicking back and enjoying a Dead Guy Ale out of a cask now.

Good work. Good day.

I spent yesterday on the back end of a splitter. It was good.

Done almost a cord of hackberry that crashed early last summer.

I used the splitter to break up a few rounds of pine for kindling... my buddy was supposed to come get it 5 oclock yesterday, but he wasnt able to so by the headlights of my truck i split all the pine up real small. Got alot done yesterday.

I worry about you fellows splitting wood now and going to burn it this winter; especially that oak. If you split wood now, it should be for next winter, not this year! It is called seasoning and you will get twice the heat from that wood without the creosote problems. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.