750lbs 3 stories, no problem! Progress Hyrbrid install pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful install! Looks like a great place with a gorgeous view you have there.

What a beautiful house, and the views wow......stove looks great too.

Reactions: ScotO
That's pretty impressive all around! I'm sure the folks at Woodstock would like to see those pictures. Good to hear that the stilts saved you. Did you or the installer do the rigging? Must have been slow going. What was the lift of your hoist? How many times did you have to set the stove down and re rig?

Machria, that is beautiful. One can easily tell there was a lot of thought went into building that house and it has paid off very well. Then the planning you did for this install is also very impressive. I really like the idea of a winch for hauling wood to the upper level and think it would work very nicely.

For sure, this is a very Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Reactions: raybonz
That's pretty impressive all around! I'm sure the folks at Woodstock would like to see those pictures. Good to hear that the stilts saved you. Did you or the installer do the rigging? Must have been slow going. What was the lift of your hoist? How many times did you have to set the stove down and re rig?

Just sent a few pics to Woodstock, they had asked for them when I explained what I had planned.... ;)

The installer did the rigging and hoist. I paid him to install the chimney, and bring the stove up. He did a GREAT job, very professional, dependable and knew what he was doing. He said he's been doing installs for 30 years, and his comment when we finshed was "Well, you won man.". When asked what I won, he said "the most challenging install I've ever done". He hoisted with a manual chain hoist rated for 2500 lbs. Just a simple block and tackle type hoist with 1/2" chain. He only had to re-rig once. He initially thought he would only need 3 sections of scaffolding, and lifted the stove up to the top of it, and then realized the hand truck could not reach it. They could not get a 4th section of scaffolding on because the roof soffet was in the way. So he ended up cutting a section of scaffolding so it would fit on top, but under the soffet. So he had to sit the stove down on some planks in the scaffolding, and moive the hoist rigging up to the new top level, and re-attach to stove and continue on. The toughtest part was pulling the 750lbs from the hoist onto the deck and handtruck. He rigged a come-along to the other side of the deck and used that to slowly pull the stove onto the deck while loosening the hoist to allow it to come over. That part was a bit precarious!

Here's a pic of the after-math, taking it down.... I was going to send this pic to Woodstock with the Title/subject: HAD ACCIDENT, NEED ANOTHER STOVE MADE! ==c But I didn't have the heart to do it. Could of been pretty funny though.
Rubble3.JPG

Here's a nice shot..
Scaffolding top1.JPG

Reactions: ScotO and raybonz
...ran new duct from above the stove to the bedroom on the 1st floor below with an inline blower.

Did you check code on this? Typically, Mechanical codes require air returns (which is what this is, functionally) to be at least 10' horizontally from a solid fuel-burning appliance. Rick

Gotta say your installer is top notch with great rigging skills! I would expect to pay a large fee for such an installation. This has to be the most challenging installation I have ever seen..

Ray

Machria, I almost bought a house in Bellport in the 1980's, but wound up in Patchogue instead (after Huntington, St. James and Centereach) and burned coal gleefully and leisurely for several years in town close to the bay. I wish I had gone for Bellport but it was $20K out of reach - life would've taken some different turns for sure. I'm in Minnesota now, trying to keep my bum warm, and will keep the blog informed of my exploits. Best of luck with the stove.

Looks great!

Did you check code on this? Typically, Mechanical codes require air returns (which is what this is, functionally) to be at least 10' horizontally from a solid fuel-burning appliance. Rick

Local code said it was fine.

In addition, in NY if you follow every code in the books, did you know it is not possible to build a house? No kidding. There are so many code cross overs that its not possible to accomplish. Something to think about....

Machria, I almost bought a house in Bellport in the 1980's, but wound up in Patchogue instead (after Huntington, St. James and Centereach) and burned coal gleefully and leisurely for several years in town close to the bay. I wish I had gone for Bellport but it was $20K out of reach - life would've taken some different turns for sure. I'm in Minnesota now, trying to keep my bum warm, and will keep the blog informed of my exploits. Best of luck with the stove.

Shoulda stretched a bit and bought it in Bellport, they are big bucks now. I bought this house in 98 for a steal when the economy was down and nothing was selling, similar to how it is now. What I paid wouldn't even cover the 10 or 20% down payment on it now.... ;)

Gotta say your installer is top notch with great rigging skills! I would expect to pay a large fee for such an installation. This has to be the most challenging installation I have ever seen..

Ray

He was very reasonable for the chimney and install, 1/2 the price of another quote I got for the chimney alone. Yet is was on time, even early, came when he said he would (seems simple, but lately that seems to be a challenge for contractors), and he knew what he was doing. Nice guy. I highly recommend him. This morning he was off to do a coal install. Didn't know people were still buying coal burners.

Reactions: raybonz
Nice flipp'n place!

Will the wind off the ocean cause you much headache with the draft?

Love the stove.
Love the hearth.
Love the pics of getting it into place.
Love the views.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
Nice flipp'n place!

Will the wind off the ocean cause you much headache with the draft?

It was an issue with the fireplace aka puff backs. No issues expected with stove, so far today, 40mph gusts, not even a whimper from the stove. Man this thing burns nice! Amazing what goes on behind that glass!

Reactions: ScotO and raybonz
I noticed the offsets on your black pipe, did you consider rear venting?

I noticed the offsets on your black pipe, did you consider rear venting?

Yes, it was offset to go forward a few inches, or offset to go back as we did. The chimney pipe is dead center between the two. I thought that was going to bother me /look like crap, but it actually looks kinda cool in it's own way. Sitting in front of the stove on the couch as I type this, you can barely see it.

The secondary's are WAY cool on this thing. If I didn't know better, I'd swear there is natural gas coming in those holes! They are lit right now all the way across all 3 rows of them, and blasting like jets 5 or 6"s out. It looks like my BBQ upside down. Gorgeous burn! On another note, I loaded 2 med size splits of 10 year old vintage cedar last night at 10pm, and one 8" round x 2" cookie chunk on top. Closed the bypass in 10 minutes (pipe was at 300) and shut the air just about all the way off. At 9:15am there was a small layer of hot coals left, just enough to light up some small dry kindling. Plopped on 3 more splits and off she went, closed bypass in 10 mins and I'm guessing its done for the day till late tonight! Unbelievable! I would be into 1/4 of a face cord with my fireplace by now in that time. And did I mention its HOT in here? It was cold and blustery last night, we would normally be bundled up freezing from the wind thru the windows... Not last night! Wife was complaining it was too hot. That was a FIRST!

I'm not sure how people are not getting 12 hours on this thing?? I bet I was about 30% full, and got 11 hours+. I was not even trying, just was upping the anti a bit on my 3rd seasoning fire.

Thanks for all the compliments!

Reactions: charly and ScotO
dang, that is one nice place you got there, and that stove is going to be perfect for you. The views there are just incredible!! That installation sequence was unreal!! You are one extreme self installer Machria. ha. enjoy that stove, as i know you will. Merry Christmas!

Machria,
I see you have joined the family of PH owners that none-owners often believe to be exaggerating. We owners find it hard to not respond to the "observors" who claim this stove is a failure in design....now you know first hand why. An absolutley fabulous, beautiful, owner friendly, safe stove that is ultimately controllable and will heat your home whether it is 55 degrees or minus 35 out.
So glad Woodstock designed and built this stove. It was worth the 6 plus year wait with my FIreview (also a beloved stove, perfect for the slightly smaller home).

Machria,
I see you have joined the family of PH owners that none-owners often believe to be exaggerating. We owners find it hard to not respond to the "observors" who claim this stove is a failure in design....now you know first hand why. An absolutley fabulous, beautiful, owner friendly, safe stove that is ultimately controllable and will heat your home whether it is 55 degrees or minus 35 out.
So glad Woodstock designed and built this stove. It was worth the 6 plus year wait with my FIreview (also a beloved stove, perfect for the slightly smaller home).
Hmm I thought the feedback was pretty positive on the PH.. Seen it in person and loved the secondaries on that stove!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.