$755.00 bill to heat my house this winter....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
I'm down to three bags of pellets. Three 60 bag skids used this year since October 15th... the first day I fired the stove.

With the exception of a couple weekends when we were gone the St Croix has been our only source of heat (and one 600w electric heater in one bedroom at night).

I bought two skids @ $232.00 per skid and one @ $291.00 for a total of $755.00. I may buy a few more bags to burn until it warms up but I'm using some NG right now during the day.

Hard to beat that in my book, no matter what heating source or where you live!

My NG bill has been $50 to $80.00 per month heated water and a little heating when I shut down the pellet stove to clean or when I forgot to fill the hopper and it ran dry... oops!

My Jan/Feb heating bill used to run $300.00 to $350.00 each month... and that was to keep the house at 65 F....

$755 to heat your house sounds pretty good to me. Last winter from Jan - Mar of 2008 we spent $1900 on propane heating our house (and hot water) . :gulp: That didn't include what propane we bought in the fall of 2007. This year we have spent $803.25 on pellets from Dec 08 until now. We just had 200 gallons of propane delivered last month for $1.70/gallon. That should last us until well into the fall since we are only using it for hot water.

krooser said:
I'm down to three bags of pellets. Three 60 bag skids used this year since October 15th... the first day I fired the stove.

With the exception of a couple weekends when we were gone the St Croix has been our only source of heat (and one 600w electric heater in one bedroom at night).

I bought two skids @ $232.00 per skid and one @ $291.00 for a total of $755.00. I may buy a few more bags to burn until it warms up but I'm using some NG right now during the day.

Great but you did buy your pellets cheap. Three 60 bag skids equal 3.5 tons around here and that would have been $1,050.00. And you are out of pellets now and you did use a supplementary electric heater which shows the bedroms weren`t really warm enough so you weren`t heating the entire house either.
And you did use some NG on a couple weekends and presently do during the day.
Sure, I`m being picky simply because heating stories like this seldom tell the whole story or are they typical.
I can tell you this from my first year burning pellets : Pellets obviously do save some folks heating money but usually you are going to have to accept some rooms cooler than others. This is not at all a bad compromise since bedrooms should seldom need to be heated above 60 degrees.
In my case I don`t really think I saved anything using pellets as a heat source for my finished basement. I`m not dissapointed with pellets but I am enlightened finding out the truth myself.
Real savings can be there but only when the spread between oil and pellets is significant.

Gio said:
krooser said:

Great but you did buy your pellets cheap. Three 60 bag skids equal 3.5 tons around here and that would have been $1,050.00. And you are out of pellets now and you did use a supplementary electric heater which shows the bedroms weren`t really warm enough so you weren`t heating the entire house either.
And you did use some NG on a couple weekends and presently do during the day.
Sure, I`m being picky simply because heating stories like this seldom tell the whole story or are they typical.
I can tell you this from my first year burning pellets : Pellets obviously do save some folks heating money but usually you are going to have to accept some rooms warmer than others. This is not at all a bad compromise since bedrooms should seldom need to be heated above 60 degrees.
In my case I don`t really think I saved anything using pellets as a heat source for my finished basement. I`m not dissapointed with pellets but I am enlightened finding out the truth myself.
Real savings can be there but only when the spread between oil and pellets is significant.

I used my NG for three weekends and maybe 4 more hours while cleaning my stove.

And I like my bedrrom warm. I've been a trucker most of the last 37 years and I've been sleeping in a cold truck, sometimes in below zero temps, for way too many years just to keep from idling my engine to keep the cab warm. I've been using a 12V warmer on my mattress since the 70's and two heavy quilts but, this winter, I installed a diesel-fired bunk heater as I'm sick of being cold all nite. You try sleeping in temps that freeze your snot and see how long you put up with it... I did for way too long.

So I keep my bedroom about 70F for six or seven hours per nite... no big deal with a 600W heater.

I can buy ProPellets here for $175.00 per metric ton (60 bags) but I prefer a softwood pellet so I pay more. I could have reduced that $755.00 down to $525.00 with those.

Two years ago my heating bill (October to April) to keep my house 65F was over $1600.00. Including NG and electricity this year it should be less tha $900.00. And I keep the house 75F or warmer now... I don't freeze. If I was really cheap I believe I could get by with 120 bags if I kept my house at 65F...

Pellets have made all the difference for me in my winter comfort... and I've saved $$$, too.

Burning wood I only spent $150 for the whole winter.

I didnt either and when you factor in the cost of the stove I lost money. The people in other parts of the country, like Krooser, get pellets cheaper so they're in a better position to save on heating costs.

Hey Krooser, looking at your avatar explains why you slept without heat, didn't have any right?

krooser said:
Gio said:
krooser said:
Two years ago my heating bill (October to April) to keep my house 65F was over $1600.00. Including NG and electricity this year it should be less tha $900.00. And I keep the house 75F or warmer now... I don't freeze. If I was really cheap I believe I could get by with 120 bags if I kept my house at 65F...

Pellets have made all the difference for me in my winter comfort... and I've saved $$$, too.

Well, my house WAS built for elec heat and is insulated well and I do have a relatively new and efficient oil burner and boiler so pellets do little to nothing for me especially now that oil is reasonably cheap and pellets are $300 a ton..

The fact that you used $1600 2 yrs ago with NG also doesn`t mean much since we don`t know how well your house is insulated , how large it is, and how efficient your furnace is. You might be better off installing insulation and a new furnace.

krooser said:

Man, I'm glad I don't live up there!!! I've used right at a ton, and just plan on burning it once more to finish up what's in the stove...

Out here in Maine I've used 6.5 tons since last Sept. My oil bill was $65 for the year, using the furnace while the wife and I were away for acouple of weeks. Total cost was less than $1700 for the year after my 7 tons is gone. I consider that good for a 2000sq. ft. farmhouse built in 1850. I've just started to weatherize, as I've just bought the house. Plus I'm burning 2 pellet stoves, a Quad castille and an Enviro VF100(aka Meridian). In fact, I just bought a third stove for our 1899 farmhouse on Prince Edward Island. I got a floor model St. Croix Afton bay installed for $2600. USD.

Gio said:
As posted so many times before, this fuel calculator below is probably the best way to determine the differences between fuels and how much you actually save by burning one or the other. It`s a real eye opener.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/fuel_cost_comparison_calculator/

good calculator, but you might want to ensure the efficiencies are correct.......its skewed if you use the default efficiencies.....old oil burner, gonna be lower.....default efficiency for pellets is low......etc

I purchased 9 tons for a total of $1722 and have burned 7 3/4 tons so far. Will probably have to heat another month and a half or so and will burn all 9 tons. My normal usage is 1500 gallons of propane which had a prebuy of $2.49 and I own the tank. The lowest it reached is $2.19. Using $2.19 that would be $3416.40 with tax, for a savings of $1694.40. We haven't changed the thermostats for comparison but it has been 33% colder according to the electric bill so I believe my savings would be even more this year. Only propane used was for cooking. All DHW is from an indirect water heater.

whippingwater said:
I purchased 9 tons for a total of $1722 and have burned 7 3/4 tons so far. Will probably have to heat another month and a half or so and will burn all 9 tons. My normal usage is 1500 gallons of propane which had a prebuy of $2.49 and I own the tank. The lowest it reached is $2.19. Using $2.19 that would be $3416.40 with tax, for a savings of $1694.40. We haven't changed the thermostats for comparison but it has been 33% colder according to the electric bill so I believe my savings would be even more this year. Only propane used was for cooking. All DHW is from an indirect water heater.
That`s less than $200 a ton , thats significant!
Normally , propane ranks second to electric when used for heating and when coupled with the unusually low price you paid for your pellets it isn`t surprising that you saved so much money. Congrats!

Lousyweather said:
Gio said:
As posted so many times before, this fuel calculator below is probably the best way to determine the differences between fuels and how much you actually save by burning one or the other. It`s a real eye opener.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/fuel_cost_comparison_calculator/

good calculator, but you might want to ensure the efficiencies are correct.......its skewed if you use the default efficiencies.....old oil burner, gonna be lower.....default efficiency for pellets is low......etc

Obviously there`s bound to be variables that can go either way for any appliance but I don`t think you will find a better calculator out there . It`s hard to believe pellets are more than 70% efficient.
Regardless, few people if any, are going to know the efficiencies of their heating equipment aside from what`s printed in their brochures anyway and we all know they are usually inflated.

It`s interesting that my oil burner tech`s records show my oil burner operating at 85% efficiency and since it`s factory mated to a reasonably new boiler it gives me some idea of performance. I can`t say there are any known tests available in the consumers home for pellet stove efficiencies so you would have to believe the brochures at their inflated percentages.
In summary, I`d have to consider the default efficiencies in the calculator a good average to use.

The cost calculator appears to work spot on exact, at least for me it is. I must have an average / typical situation for their formulas/calculations.
Oil @ 1.87 a gal would have cost me $1626 to heat my house this year, not bad at all.
Pellets @ $300 per ton would have cost me $2524 for the same amount of BTU`s.

So far my figures , as close as I can estimate at this point in time using oil and pellets , it has cost me $100 + more by using the pellet stove and that was only as a supplement to my oil system to heating the finished basement. I`d have been better off using the baseboard heat instead.
I`ve had to put up with the constant noise from the stove and blowing air not to mention the storing and handling of pellets and stove cleaning , however all this was not really bad as it might sound though.
Now this doesn`t even include the cost of the stove and installation mat`ls.
I AM thankful to have found a like new , used Harman stove for $500. I`d be sick to my stomach if I had invested more and I do feel for those who invested big bucks in their pellet stoves.
Obviously burning pellets is all relative to the cost of other fuels and oil.
It`s been a good experiment for me and having the pellet stove is still probably a good insurance policy. I`m not dissatisfied with it , only enlightened to the fact that it simply cannot in any way substitute as a replacement for a good central heat system that can provide much more comfort and even heat throughout a home, often for less money.
So until oil spikes again and pellets drop , my love affair with pellets has waned.
I think anyone who is experiencing significant savings burning pellets is either buying pellets dirt cheap , (and that will change too) living with less heat , or heating less area , or they have a substandard central heating system.
I think my project this summer is to zone off a couple of seldomly used rooms making my central heating system even more efficient.
Personally I think money is better spent investing or improving your present heating system, insulation, and windows.
Additionally and just as important, pellet stoves don`t really add to the value of a home like a good efficient central heating system does.

A long time ago my mother told me "if you don't have anything good to say don't say anything at all."

I have to disagree that a pellet stove dosent add to the value of a house. Sure it does, maybe not a lot but it gives you an option from oil or gas. And also if your primary heating system breaks down.

jack56 said:
I have to disagree that a pellet stove dosent add to the value of a house. Sure it does, maybe not a lot but it gives you an option from oil or gas. And also if your primary heating system breaks down.

I think a stove of any kind is a probably considered more of a bonus or free extra for some people but rarely a consideration to a house hunter but never would the absence of a stove be a deal breaker . Most savvy buyers would instead be looking for a reasonably new and efficient central heating system that is not likely to need immediate repairs. And you can bet the mandatory home inspections will reveal obvious central heating system deficiencies which could lower the value of the house.

Gio, put it up where the heat is needed. Heating with any space heater from the basement just ain't gonna get it done. There is no way you can compare trying to do that with people that have the stove up in the the main living space.

BrotherBart said:
Gio, put it up where the heat is needed. Heating with any space heater from the basement just ain't gonna get it done. There is no way you can compare trying to do that with people that have the stove up in the the main living space.

Actually I`m not comparing anything to others. I`m comparing only to what I know to be in my own house.
I`m not trying to heat my entire house with my pellet stove and I`m not complaining about the amount of heat it produces either. It does exactly what I expected it to do just where it is, but it doesn`t do it as cheap as oil does.
The only negative I have with it is the cost of pellets @ $300per ton is more than the cost of oil.
At that price , there is no savings advantage.
If and when oil rises again and pellets stay at current prices there could be a savings.

BrotherBart said:
I believe he is using the pellet stove where the heat is needed. He is heating a finished basement that is occupied, he's just choosing to heat that area with pellet heat.

Overall I completely agree with Gio's comments and find them pretty accurate. I will mention the size of the house/living area and the layout can have a lot to do with how successful a pellets stove (or any space heater for that matter) will be at independently heating that area. In some applications a single space heater can heat everything and the temperature variation throughout can be minimal, for other homes they might not work very well at all as the only source of heat.

Fuel pricing obviously has a lot to do with how much some might save. I've been burning pellets for about 9 years now and have learned this lesson the hard way as prices for both oil and pellets have gone up and down (and not always together). When I first started burning pellets there was money to be saved in doing so. Over the last several years there has been a lot more volatility in pellet pricing, so saving with pellets is certainly no longer a given these days. In fact, I often question the rational of some folks who have come on here in recent times looking to purchase a $4000 pellet stove so they can save some money on their NG bill, and end up doing so even after the numbers are laid out for them which suggest it might be even more expensive for them to heat with pellets... never mind the up front cost of the $4000 stove! Many here fail to compare the cost of BTU to BTU for different fuels and ultimately make the costly mistake of burning what they assume would be cheapest without crunching the numbers.

Regardless, we do hear some pretty far fetched 'success stories' on here about how some folks in the northern climates are heating their entire house with only a 2 or 3 tons of pellets per year, but it use to take 1500+ gal of oil to historically heat... So in this sense I find Gio's comments to be both close to reality and refreshing.

Status
Not open for further replies.