$79 electric bill!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim H.

Feeling the Heat
One of the coldest months (comparing last December) and even 1 more billing day and that is all we paid!
We used 20 bags this month compared with 15 last year. I will take that anytime. House built in 82 with
only 2x4 outside wall construction.....but it is insulated pretty well. Around 2000 sqft bilevel. All electric
baseboard heat! We did have the stove on more overnight which kept the house at a nice cozy level.
ahhhhhh!!!!!

You just made me sick. I pay over $200 a month for my electric.

Reactions: PoolGuyinCT
Mine is $56-$70 with just a woodstove ::-) I do however come home to a 60F home sometimes on super cold days and it's a lot of work to keep the house clean etc....

I expect ours to be about 2200kw for this month which is about $300 about $200 of is for geothermal heat.

Reactions: johnny1720
It would cost twice that in Maine just for the delivery fees, not even counting the electricity used. You are stuck with the only provider in your area here and they charge more for the use of the wires than for the electricity. They have to. Someone has to pay for the 14 vice presidents the company has.

I average about 800kwh not including heat or a/c. Wife runs the dryer a lot as well as 3 showers a day.

Not bad. It's usually around summer time when I cringe to look at the electric bill from running A/C.

I instaled the Hybrid water heater still use 1000 kwh a month, electric prices going up 2 cents a kw here jan 1st, i also have a hot tub, but it's always been 1000kw since i've lived here, it's the kids, i tell you kids!!

Reactions: Countryboymo
You guys are really efficient. 494 KWh would be a miracle for me. Or a vacation.

Still trying to reduce that, guess I'll have to put a clothes line outside and tell the resident laundry bear to suck it up and go outside to dry the clothes.

Maybe replacing the TV will let me trim the bill a bit and along with the power bill maybe the cable bill as well.

I was pleasantly surprised when my bill was only $18(88 kWh!!!) for Nov 14th - Dec 16th. Im not sure how that happened, but I installed and started using my stove on Nov 23rd. Before that I had electric everything(heat, hot water, etc) and my Oct-Nov bill was $365. They havent physically checked my meter since July, but when I went a looked at it after i received my bill in Novermber, their estimate was within like 10 kWh of my meter.

FYI, I checked the power draw of my stove while its running on heat level 2 and its ~140 watts(120W with auger off, 160W with it on). My average cost is per kWh is $.15 including the delivery charges so I figure my stove would cost me ~$16 a month running 24/7(which it doesnt). My biggest cost now is hot water.

I was pleasantly surprised when my bill was only $18(88 kWh!!!) for Nov 14th - Dec 16th. Im not sure how that happened, but I installed and started using my stove on Nov 23rd. Before that I had electric everything(heat, hot water, etc) and my Oct-Nov bill was $365. They havent physically checked my meter since July, but when I went a looked at it after i received my bill in Novermber, their estimate was within like 10 kWh of my meter.

FYI, I checked the power draw of my stove while its running on heat level 2 and its ~140 watts(120W with auger off, 160W with it on). My average cost is per kWh is $.15 including the delivery charges so I figure my stove would cost me ~$16 a month running 24/7(which it doesnt). My biggest cost now is hot water.

To have a bill that low, they must've been overestimating your usage for the last few months!

You all done good! I avg 700kwh varying from a low of 600 in May to 800 in December. I've switched out all my bulbs to CFLs and LEDs, but I have a hybrid water heater and now a pellet stove running, so my overall usage has gone up. Used to be 25% better.

I'm envious now. I only know of 1 person doing better than you guys are and that's because he lives "off-grid". Which means no pellet stove for him. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that.

Where the hey in MA do you live???!!!

I know chicopee mass makes there own eletricity and sell's it cheap, 88kwh for a month, thats like leaving 1 light bulb on........your full of it

national grid bill dec. 1st. 617 kw for the month , down from 670kw for 2012. 108.05 thanks to a rate hike to $ .1025 for electricity.jan. bill will jump to $150. this year. then back to $100-110. up from 75-85. such is life. includes dryer, boiler, lts, electronics. kwh cost /day up to 3.60 from 3.00 using a kw/day less.

At my last house the electric company did read the meter every month and would send out estimated bills based on my historic use. Then would actually read the meter and send an accurate bill. That is probably what has happened. Since you started using the stove your electric use has dropped and they just read the meter.

They used to physically read the meter at my house too. Then they installed a new meter with a wireless transmitter. My electric bills have increased by a little over 20% since it's installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.