1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

7mm Handy Viper chimney cleaner vs soot eater

Post in 'The Gear' started by johnsopi, Nov 24, 2010.

1. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
    Just had the chimney sweep out for the yearly cleaning. He used the viper bottom up system. Took him
    5 min. cost me me 135$ I wish there was a group of us that could buy one and ship it each other. How is the soot eater compered to this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    I have soot eater and I am happy with it. Never saw viper. You could get your money back in less than one call.
  3. atvdave

atvdave Member

Loc:
    Newburgh, IN
  4. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I've read nothing but good reviews for the soot eater. I've never heard of the viper.

Matt
  5. johnsopi

johnsopi Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MD near DE&PA;
  6. murphy0421

murphy0421 New Member

Loc:
    Springfield, PA
    We moved into our current house about 7 years ago and had the fireplace and the franklin stove chimneys swept that summer. I almost laid an egg (keepn it clean my kids are lookn over my shoulder) when he said that will be $250.00. I paid him then vowed to do it myself the next year. He used the handy viper system from the bottom up. So that was where I started my research.

I HATE heights and the easy of cleaning from inside really appealed to me. It was expensive but I justified it based on my fear of ladders and the fact that in 2 years it would pay for itself and in 3 years be saving me money. I've used it every year since and really like it. Some dust does get in the house but I deal with it. I really hate ladders!