7mm Handy Viper chimney cleaner vs soot eater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Just had the chimney sweep out for the yearly cleaning. He used the viper bottom up system. Took him
5 min. cost me me 135$ I wish there was a group of us that could buy one and ship it each other. How is the soot eater compered to this.

I have soot eater and I am happy with it. Never saw viper. You could get your money back in less than one call.

We moved into our current house about 7 years ago and had the fireplace and the franklin stove chimneys swept that summer. I almost laid an egg (keepn it clean my kids are lookn over my shoulder) when he said that will be $250.00. I paid him then vowed to do it myself the next year. He used the handy viper system from the bottom up. So that was where I started my research.

I HATE heights and the easy of cleaning from inside really appealed to me. It was expensive but I justified it based on my fear of ladders and the fact that in 2 years it would pay for itself and in 3 years be saving me money. I've used it every year since and really like it. Some dust does get in the house but I deal with it. I really hate ladders!

Status
Not open for further replies.