7th Fire This Year And The Stove Still Stinks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Don't know why but my Keystone still has a heavy paint cure smell? I did the breakin fires and had full blown hot fires but still get that smell. Anyone elses stove ever take this long to cure? Usually evey time you go a little higher in temps you will get a wiff but I've already been close to max temps and now it's just cruisin. I wonder if it could be the new brick hearth or mortar curing?

You sure it's the stove? ;-)

Smart azz Wendell. :lol: I'm going to burn the chit out of it tonight, hopefully that will be the end of it. My Fireview was done stinkin by the 3rd or 4th fire.

Maybe they used stinkstone instead of soapstone? :lol:

Mmmmm, I guess that is a possibility. :wow:

My smell lasted a lot more than 2-3 fires also but I got rid of the smell for good after I was burning 24/7 and hot.

Hey

I had a smell that lasted an entire winter. I don't want to be pessismistic, however, I had a deffective stove! ARGH. My smell, however, was not that of paint curing. It was more of a sour smell from the stovetop.

I just lit my first fire in my newly delivered (from the factory since my previous one was deffective) stove. I hope it doesn't last 7 fires. LOL

Andrew

I live on a back road and in the middle of a field where the dust is rather heavy for some reason. Anyway, every year I clean the stove inside and out and that first fire will always have that burnt dust smell. Then after a few days I may use the stove again and of course some more of that burnt dust smell.

I wonder if that could be some of what you are smelling.

Swedishchef said:
Hey

I had a smell that lasted an entire winter. I don't want to be pessismistic, however, I had a deffective stove! ARGH. My smell, however, was not that of paint curing. It was more of a sour smell from the stovetop.

I just lit my first fire in my newly delivered (from the factory since my previous one was deffective) stove. I hope it doesn't last 7 fires. LOL

Andrew

Yeah, I remember that and I hope that doesn't happen to me. I just filled her up again, burning all night, maybe post a video.

BJ64 said:
I live on a back road and in the middle of a field where the dust is rather heavy for some reason. Anyway, every year I clean the stove inside and out and that first fire will always have that burnt dust smell. Then after a few days I may use the stove again and of course some more of that burnt dust smell.

I wonder if that could be some of what you are smelling.

I know what you mean about the burnt dust smell but this is different, definitely paint smell, maybe it just takes a good all night burn.

alot of times it can be the pipe. I guess i burned ten fires at high temps last year before i got rid of the strange paint smell that i would get from time to time. did you use new pipe on the keystone install?

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
alot of times it can be the pipe. I guess i burned ten fires at high temps last year before i got rid of the strange paint smell that i would get from time to time. did you use new pipe on the keystone install?

New everything. If I stick my nose down next to the stove you can smell the paint. It seems less now that I've been burning most of the day. Or it could be the homemade mead! :lol: The glass has finally cleaned up as well. I was getting some soot in the lower corners but it's gone now.

I think you have found Jimmy Hoffa. :coolgrin:

Todd, we had a smell for a long time but it was the new pipe. I never did get any smell from the new Fireview. I do hope it goes away quickly. Maybe it is Jimmy....

that smell savage was a north easterly wind bringing the detroit river aroma. Fire tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.