8.5" Thimble!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sheepsblood

Oct 16, 2017
Maine
I have a Cawley-Lemay 800 and reconditioned it this spring. I am ready to put it back in service but I have an issue. My stainless steel chimney insert that was installed previous to owning this house is 8.5" at the thimble. I have no clue why but I don't want to have to order a specially made Increasing adapter. I just want to use stock 8" parts.
So, what I want to know is... Would it be ok to take a regular 8" Thimble and place it inside the current thimble, backfilling the gap between the two with fireplace mortar or maybe a combo of fireplace sealant and door gasket wrapped around that space?

This is obviously frustrating and I see no need in having it re-piped correctly. I just don't see the return on investment of that. It seems to me as long as it's sealed, that it will be safe.

The first thing to do is make sure that the thimble is properly installed with the correct clearances and protection for going through a wall. If not, the thimble may need to be redone. Sealing is relatively easy, but there is more than just sealing to make a thimble safe. If uncertain get a certified sweep to go over the entire flue system to verify it is properly done and ready for stove installation.