8" Duraplus Chimney Pipe OD Temp.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazerbeam

Oct 31, 2006
Central Illinois
I finally completed the install of my Quadrafire 7100 and have had my first 4 or 5 fires in it. So far it has been working great and am not having any draft/smoke issues what so ever. My wife loves it as much as I do.

I haven't enclosed it yet with stonework and so I can still reach up and touch the first two 36" sections, up until in goes into the radiation heat shield at the ceiling. During operation the pipe OD gets pretty hot. Not crazy hot - I can still keep my hand on it and if feels basically like the bottom of a pretty hot laptop, maybe a little more when it's really going (130F). I wouldn't have given it much thought except for reading some posts in the past where some wrote that their Duraplus chimney pipe was cold to the touch and snow was actually building up on the pipe with a raging fire inside. I also noticed the pipe is actually coolest nearest the connection on the fireplace and gradually gets warmer the higher it goes.

Anyone have any experience they can share with how hot the OD of the 8" Duraplus pipe typically gets?

My parents have the 8" selkirk triple wall and if the fire is ROARING on a new load for a long time it will climb to close to 200.. Most of the time it runs under 150. These measurements are taken just after the single wall enters the chimney.. Its hot, but even at that the 2x6's that the finish support are bolted to stay cool, as in under 100..

Jason

My pipe was cool to the touch even with a pretty roaring fire. Never Hot, even with secondaries going.

I have the SL-300 series pipe not the duraplus. I wouldn't think there would be any difference.

I have the 6" duraplus and can reach the first two sections as well. The lower of the first two sections stays almost cold, the upper one gets pretty warm to the touch, probably 120F or so. I'd say you're fine. It is interesting how the upper pieces are warming on both your install and mine. Must have to do with how the air circulates in the outside layer.

Hmmm? You felt chimney sections right above the fireplace or was it oustide? The SL-300 should pull air from the outside to cool the chimney. What was the oustide air temperature when you felt it?

The SL-300 is an air cooled double wall chimney pipe with no ceramic insulation layer that is typical of a Class A type chimney.

Maybe I screwed something up with this pipe

Gazerbeam said:
Hmmm? You felt chimney sections right above the fireplace or was it oustide? The SL-300 should pull air from the outside to cool the chimney. What was the oustide air temperature when you felt it?

The SL-300 is an air cooled double wall chimney pipe with no ceramic insulation layer that is typical of a Class A type chimney.

Maybe I screwed something up with this pipe

I was feeling sections that were in my second story, before it passes through the roof but after it comes through the living room ceiling. The Duraplus is triple wall and between the inside two walls is a layer of insulation, then between the outer wall and the middle wall is a convective air channel.

Thanks Joe...for the reply. My set up is the 7100 fireplace with the Duraplus adapter plate and then five 36" sections of pipe, then the chimney cap. I can reach the first two sections coming right off of the fireplace. Is your set up a stove with single wall pipe up until the ceiling support box and then Duraplus the rest of the way?

One morning when the fire place wasn't lit, I moved a lighter up and down next to the holes at base of the fireplace adapter and there's a pretty good draft there. When the lighter flame gets near a hole the flame basically get pulled horizontally. I suspect that the cool air getting pulled up into the outer chimney wall by this draft is cooling the pipe at the bottom and then rapidly warms as it rises. The question is does the OD temp stabilize at the 120F or do the sections that are above the two that we can feel climb to 300F+.

I bought a IR gun for Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago, so I might unscrew a piece of dry wall making up ceiling inside the chase at the firestop. This will give me access to the upper sections in the chase and then try to measure their temperatures.

Gazerbeam said:
Thanks Joe...for the reply. My set up is the 7100 fireplace with the Duraplus adapter plate and then five 36" sections of pipe, then the chimney cap. I can reach the first two sections coming right off of the fireplace. Is your set up a stove with single wall pipe up until the ceiling support box and then Duraplus the rest of the way?

One morning when the fire place wasn't lit, I moved a lighter up and down next to the holes at base of the fireplace adapter and there's a pretty good draft there. When the lighter flame gets near a hole the flame basically get pulled horizontally. I suspect that the cool air getting pulled up into the outer chimney wall by this draft is cooling the pipe at the bottom and then rapidly warms as it rises. The question is does the OD temp stabilize at the 120F or do the sections that are above the two that we can feel climb to 300F+.

I bought a IR gun for Harbor Freight a couple weeks ago, so I might unscrew a piece of dry wall making up ceiling inside the chase at the firestop. This will give me access to the upper sections in the chase and then try to measure their temperatures.

It is a stove and I'm using double wall pipe to the ceiling, then the Duraplus. Makes sense on the air flow, I bet you're spot on there. I doubt any of the pipe gets to 300F+. My stove collar only gets to 300F or so, I can't imagine any of the chimney getting hotter than that really.

Status
Not open for further replies.