1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

8" icc excel vs. 8" duratech connector / chimneys - your thoughts?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dgoanne, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgoanne

dgoanne New Member

Loc:
    SW Colorado
    hi there - we have just received a very steep quote for 8" icc pipe (to accompany an RSF Delta 2), but can find [apparently similar] 8" duratech online for half the cost. Your thoughts? What's the actual difference between the two, other than Canadian vs. US? Do you know of icc online retailers who I should visit?

The use is for a new home, cathedral ceiling (14'), 5/12 pitch roof at apex. Many thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. daryl

daryl Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western WI
    Your RSF requires ICC chimney.You can not use any other chimney with this stove.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    ICC is made to much more stringent Canadian specs.

http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/Insulated_Stainless_Steel_Chimney
  4. dgoanne

dgoanne New Member

Loc:
    SW Colorado
    Great explanation - that answers it, then! many thanks.
  5. manity

manity New Member

Loc:
    Sudbury, Ontario
    And the quality is much better on the ICC Pipe... i have a Delta 2 and it's very nice.
  6. dgoanne

dgoanne New Member

Loc:
    SW Colorado
    good to hear you like your Delta 2. May I ask you a couple more questions about it? - we are building a very airtight, warm house, about 2000' total. Do you think the DL 2 will blast us out? Do you have any suggestions/recommendations for us as we look to install or use it? Have you had any service problems (a local dealer has been having issues)? thx in advance -
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I have the much smaller Onyx in a 2200 sq ft house with lots of glass and I'm in a colder climate. The Onyx can keep the house above 70°F in -40°F weather but it's a struggle. In mild weather it's a challenge not to make the house too hot. I have to burn two sticks at a time and almost let the fire go out before reloading it. I close off my zipper air to allow smaller burns.

A guy almost needs two stoves, a small one for milder temps, and a big one for really cold weather. I use the gas furnace more in mild weather and also when it gets really cold.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.