8" icc excel vs. 8" duratech connector / chimneys - your thoughts?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoanne

Jan 28, 2010
SW Colorado
hi there - we have just received a very steep quote for 8" icc pipe (to accompany an RSF Delta 2), but can find [apparently similar] 8" duratech online for half the cost. Your thoughts? What's the actual difference between the two, other than Canadian vs. US? Do you know of icc online retailers who I should visit?

The use is for a new home, cathedral ceiling (14'), 5/12 pitch roof at apex. Many thanks!

Your RSF requires ICC chimney.You can not use any other chimney with this stove.

ICC is made to much more stringent Canadian specs.

http://www.icc-rsf.com/en/icc/Insulated_Stainless_Steel_Chimney
EXCEL is tested and listed to the ULC S-629 chimney standard. The ULC standard is generally considered the toughest residential chimney standard in the world. The USA standard requires the chimney to withstand three 10-minute 2100°F chimney fires. The Canadian standard requires the chimney to withstand three 30-minute chimney fires, three times longer than the USA.

good to hear you like your Delta 2. May I ask you a couple more questions about it? - we are building a very airtight, warm house, about 2000' total. Do you think the DL 2 will blast us out? Do you have any suggestions/recommendations for us as we look to install or use it? Have you had any service problems (a local dealer has been having issues)? thx in advance -

I have the much smaller Onyx in a 2200 sq ft house with lots of glass and I'm in a colder climate. The Onyx can keep the house above 70°F in -40°F weather but it's a struggle. In mild weather it's a challenge not to make the house too hot. I have to burn two sticks at a time and almost let the fire go out before reloading it. I close off my zipper air to allow smaller burns.

A guy almost needs two stoves, a small one for milder temps, and a big one for really cold weather. I use the gas furnace more in mild weather and also when it gets really cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.