8 inch exhaust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bucketboy

Aug 7, 2009
central ontario

Was thinking of adding another stove in our house, i have a 6 inch s.s. chimney will it marry up to a non epa 8 inch stove? thanks

bucketboy said:

Was thinking of adding another stove in our house, i have a 6 inch s.s. chimney will it marry up to a non epa 8 inch stove? thanks
Code doesn't allow it and the stove manufactures specs won't either. The flue will always be required to be at least the same size (area) as the stove outlet. Will it work? Depends on a lot of variables in the system. Some of the old stoves, if connected to a S/S liner of the same size as the outlet on the stove will go ballistic.....to much draft. I know of at least two situations where a new S/S liner was installed that was smaller than the 8 in. stove outlet and they worked just fine. No way to know for sure.

I have a 7" outlet on my stove into a 6" SS liner. It works fine but occasionally will get smoke spillage into the room when opening the door, but that could also be from burning semi-seasoned wood and the cap gets a little blocked up.

Nater said:
I have a 7" outlet on my stove into a 6" SS liner. It works fine but occasionally will get smoke spillage into the room when opening the door, but that could also be from burning semi-seasoned wood and the cap gets a little blocked up.
That is a pretty common effect of reducing the outlet size.....the stove burns fine with the doors shut, but tries to smoke a bit when reloading.

I believe one of the Vermont Castings stoves w/ an 8in stove collar calls for an 8in chimney if you want to burn w/ the doors open OR a 6 inch if you don't want to.

pen

pen said:
I believe one of the Vermont Castings stoves w/ an 8in stove collar calls for an 8in chimney if you want to burn w/ the doors open OR a 6 inch if you don't want to.

pen
Pen, I think I have seen that stated for a lot of the older stoves. Needed the 8 in. for the big open hole when burned like a fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.