1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

8" stove pipe tee with male down?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by FisherZip, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FisherZip

FisherZip New Member

Loc:
    Finger Lakes NY
    anyone seen this mythical creature? I need it! Otherwise, I've got creosote running back down the pipe onto the stove.

| |
    | |
    | |
    ///////////

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Fsappo

Fsappo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I think all tees have a male take off on them, also a male end where the tee cap goes. So as far as I know each tee would have 2 male and one female end.
  3. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Boulder County
    why would you not install it in the correct orientation?

If you need to go strait back before you go up, then just put the T in the correct orientation at the end of the horizontal run?
  4. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    I think they have two female and one male. The female is on the bottom and horizontal section and the male is on the top.
  5. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

Franks is right on this one. Usually the take off and bottom (cap end) are male and the top is female. That keeps the creosote in the pipe.
  6. FisherZip

FisherZip New Member

Loc:
    Finger Lakes NY
    ok, you guys are forcing me to get artistic! see the attached pic, if you will. there used to be an elbow at that joint, I am trying to replace it with a tee so I can easily clean out the horizontal run through the thimble, otherwise I get backpuffing with just a little bit of crap accumulating in there. anyway, the only tees I can find are female on the down end and 1 female and 1 male on the top ends. if I orient the tee with the male down, so as to stop creosote drip, then I can't get into the horizontal anymore. know what I mean? thanks guys

Attached Files:

7. Fsappo

Fsappo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    Bottom is male to keep the creosote from leaking out the bottom of the tee
  8. FisherZip

FisherZip New Member

Loc:
    Finger Lakes NY
  9. EKLawton

EKLawton Member

Loc:
    central pa
    buy the regular tee and go to a tin knocker and have him put the crimps on for you. Should cost no more than $5 at best.
  10. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    aren't there just as many screws to remove from a cap on a Tee as to remove an elbow?
  11. MountainStoveGuy

Loc:
    Boulder County
    im thinking of a class A tee.... duh. srry for my confusing post!
  12. FisherZip

FisherZip New Member

Loc:
    Finger Lakes NY
    yup, just as many screws to remove a cap vs an elbow, but the cap comes right off real nice whereas the elbow has to be wrestled with because of the tight fit and angle. I might try to get the tee crimped. I have done that before for straight pipe. But it would be a hell of a crimp to go from a female fitting (bigger than straight pipe) down to a male fitting. I just can't believe I'm the only one who has this problem and needs this thing. ah well.
    thanks guys
  13. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

I will try this one more time. That is how standard Single Wall Black Tees are. Put the male tap (middle one in picture) into your stove, the male with the cap (bottom one in the picture) will stick out towards the room, and then the other female (top one in the picture)will attach to your current Black Pipe coming out of the wall.

By the way, the tee will probably put more restriction into your setup then the creosote buildup you describe. You might try to minimize the horizontal run or increase the slope if possible to help draft. You aren't "fixing" the issue by adding the tee, the creosote is building up there because the "smoke" is hanging there and cooling off due to poor draft.

Attached Files:

14. FisherZip

FisherZip New Member

Loc:
    Finger Lakes NY
  15. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
  16. Metal

Metal Minister of Fire

Thread Status: