8" stove pipe tee with male down?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FisherZip

Mar 11, 2009
Finger Lakes NY
anyone seen this mythical creature? I need it! Otherwise, I've got creosote running back down the pipe onto the stove.

| |
| |
| |
///////////

I think all tees have a male take off on them, also a male end where the tee cap goes. So as far as I know each tee would have 2 male and one female end.

why would you not install it in the correct orientation?

If you need to go strait back before you go up, then just put the T in the correct orientation at the end of the horizontal run?

Franks said:
I think all tees have a male take off on them, also a male end where the tee cap goes. So as far as I know each tee would have 2 male and one female end.

I think they have two female and one male. The female is on the bottom and horizontal section and the male is on the top.

ok, you guys are forcing me to get artistic! see the attached pic, if you will. there used to be an elbow at that joint, I am trying to replace it with a tee so I can easily clean out the horizontal run through the thimble, otherwise I get backpuffing with just a little bit of crap accumulating in there. anyway, the only tees I can find are female on the down end and 1 female and 1 male on the top ends. if I orient the tee with the male down, so as to stop creosote drip, then I can't get into the horizontal anymore. know what I mean? thanks guys

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 296
MountainStoveGuy said:
Franks said:

I think they have two female and one male. The female is on the bottom and horizontal section and the male is on the top.
Bottom is male to keep the creosote from leaking out the bottom of the tee

buy the regular tee and go to a tin knocker and have him put the crimps on for you. Should cost no more than $5 at best.

aren't there just as many screws to remove from a cap on a Tee as to remove an elbow?

yup, just as many screws to remove a cap vs an elbow, but the cap comes right off real nice whereas the elbow has to be wrestled with because of the tight fit and angle. I might try to get the tee crimped. I have done that before for straight pipe. But it would be a hell of a crimp to go from a female fitting (bigger than straight pipe) down to a male fitting. I just can't believe I'm the only one who has this problem and needs this thing. ah well.
thanks guys

I will try this one more time. That is how standard Single Wall Black Tees are. Put the male tap (middle one in picture) into your stove, the male with the cap (bottom one in the picture) will stick out towards the room, and then the other female (top one in the picture)will attach to your current Black Pipe coming out of the wall.

By the way, the tee will probably put more restriction into your setup then the creosote buildup you describe. You might try to minimize the horizontal run or increase the slope if possible to help draft. You aren't "fixing" the issue by adding the tee, the creosote is building up there because the "smoke" is hanging there and cooling off due to poor draft.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 221
Status
Not open for further replies.